Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

GE PROFILE ELECTRIC STOVE APPROX 5 YRS OLD. STOVE TOP TURNS

Customer Question

GE PROFILE ELECTRIC STOVE APPROX 5 YRS OLD. STOVE TOP TURNS ON BUT THEN WITHIN 30-45 SECONDS TURNS OFF. THIS OCCURS ON ANY BURNER AND THE OVEN.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have the model number for your oven so I can better assist you by chance? And if you set the oven to bake at 350 degrees, after 30-45 seconds, what happens on the display exactly? Does the display revert back to showing the time of day and that's it? Does the display go blank? etc...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MOD # PS978ST1SS THAT IS WHAT HAPPENS WITH USING THE OVEN OR THE STOVE TOP. DISPLAY FOR HEATING SHOWES APPROPRIATELY THEN TURNS OFF AND REVERTS TO NORMAL WITHIN A FEW SECONDS. WHILE ON FOR THOSE FEW SECONDS NOTHING ACTUALLY HEATS UP
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Ok thank you for the clarification. First, try to unplug the oven or flip the circuit breaker off to the oven for 5 minutes to see if the electronics will reset. If that doesn't work, your front user interface has corrupted logic so the front user interface board would just need to be ordered and replaced to resolve the issue I'm sorry to say. Below is a link to the part you'd need to order for your model number.

CLICK HERE for interface control board

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THANKS, ***** ***** NOW WHEN I TRY TO USE THE STOVE TOP A CODE F620 COMES UP AND THE BURNER WILL NOT TURN ON. ANY THOUGHTS ON THAT? THANKS.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately that is a communication error between the main control board and interface control board so I would replace the interface board.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK- GOT IT. THANKS. FYI, WE CANNED A FEW BUSHELS OF TOMATOES USING THIS STOVE THIS PAST WEEKEND. IT TOOK MOST OF THE DAY & THE STOVE GOT REALLY HOT IN THE PROCESS. I BELIEVE THAT IS WHAT DID IN THE INTERFACE BOARD. JUST MY THOUGHT. THANKS AGAIN.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Not a problem and unfortunately that is definitely possible since the heat can go around the pans and heat up the control panel. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and if you need anything else just let me know.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?