Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I'm trying to disable the lid lock on my whirlpool a man a

Customer Question
Good morning I'm trying to...
Good morning I'm trying to disable the lid lock on my whirlpool a man a washer can you please hel... We ddon't know the right plugs to cut so we can continue to wash.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
8/21/2016
Appliance Technician: Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago
Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, this is Dave and I'm happy to help you. What you want to do is fine for testing purposes. If you give me the model number I will research the wiring diagram and give you the answer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where is the model number found

That depends on the age but start looking with the lid open and in the hinge area on a sticker.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
W10338679A
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry it's NTW4600YQ0

Thanks, ***** ***** a minute and I will have your answer.

On the control look for the 4 wire J-14 connector. Connect the red, white and blue together and you don't use the yellow. This tells the control the lid id down and locked. If the washer runs you know you need the lid/lock.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Which wire to cut to disable and we can still use the washer and where is the 4 wire connect at
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
U see j 15 j 16 no j. 14

It is on the control that is right behind the knob. Here is the parts list. Parts list link It is item #4. Either remove the back panel or use a putty knife to press in the two clips, #3, on on each side. I can't say to use the washer after testing because this is a safety feature you are bypassing. The washer would only run one load and then you would need to unplug it to reset since the control would not see the lid switch opening after the cycle.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK. I see the red blue and white and yellow ....so are we cutting the red white and blue and lacing the yello cord alone
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Leaving the yellow cord alone

Correct, it is only for the control to send the locking voltage. Rge red, white and blue bypass the two switches so the control thinks the lid is closed and locked.

You bypass on the wires coming from the control not the ones going out to the lid/lock.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK let's see if this works just a second

Okay

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We pressed the button and it still didn't respond or cut on

That proves the lid/lock is not your problem. Any sounds at all? Did you test for power at the outlet?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No sound and the washing machine not even on... But we see the green light on in the inside

We can try to get into diagnostics to see if there are codes. Here are the steps but watch the video from the lik at the end first as it will be very helopful.

ACTIVATING THE SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC TEST MODES

1. Be sure the washer is in standby mode (plugged in with all indicators off).

2. Perform the following sequence of movement using the cycle selector knob.

NOTE: AFTER RESET, sequence “a” through “e” must be completed within 6 seconds.

RESET - Rotate cycle selector knob counterclockwise one or more clicks to clear sequence.

a. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait ½ second.

b. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait ½ second.

c. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait ½ second.

d. Rotate cycle selector knob counterclockwise one click and wait ½ second.

e. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click.

 Successful activation of Diagnostic Test Modes will be indicated by all status LEDs (except for Lid Locked) flashing ON and OFF in half-second intervals.

NOTE: LED names may vary between makes and models.

When all LEDs are flashing, turn the knob until the “Done” light comes on.

Press the start button.

Turn the knob clockwise one click and observe if any LEDs flash in sequence.

If the Sensing, Prewash, and/or Soak LEDs are ON, the Fault Number is *****; if OFF, the Error Number is ***** The remaining LEDs (Wash, Rinse, Spin, and Done) represent the fault and error code in binary.

The code is read by reading what LEDs are on with the Sensing LED, (This is the fault) and then what LEDs are on when it goes out, (This is the error).

Watch the alternating codes and let me know what lights, if any are on when the Sensing LED is on and then what lights come on when it goes off.

After you read the first code if you turn the knob one click at a time clockwise it will display the next code if any are present. Diagnostics video link

Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave