George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  Senior Service & Technical Manager at Allsorts Recycling & Appliance Repairs
19471162

My Dyson upright vacuum cleaner stopped working--it just

Customer Question

my Dyson upright vacuum cleaner stopped working--it just shut down with no warning. No household circuit breakers have tripped. there is power to the outlets.
JA: Have you tried power cycling the appliance -- unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: That's what we are doing now. It might be that the heat sensor shut it off, but we did not detect any heat. I can't find any reset buttons. According to the owners manual, the heat cut-out is the only thing that matches the symptoms.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Is there a way to confirm that it is the heat sensor other than waiting?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 12 months ago.

What model Dyson do you have?

No, other than waiting there is no way to confirm your suspicions..

The thermal cutout usually activates when either the appliance is struggling due to issues of a tough job it is given (This is to protect the motor), or due to a blockage that has occurred in the hose or in the filters.

Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 11 months ago.

Please let me know if you still have problems.. otherwise, please take the time to rate my assistance using the stars provided (5 stars is best) at the top of the page, as it is the only way I get credited for responding to you.