Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

GE fridge GSS25QSWCSS about 8 years old. A couple of weeks

Customer Question
GE fridge GSS25QSWCSS about 8...
GE fridge GSS25QSWCSS about 8 years old. A couple of weeks ago the ice maker became very loud when dispensing ice cubes. Last week when seeing quite a bit of use it developed a burning smell that filled the freezer and fridge. Any thoughts on what caused this and what needs to be replaced to fix?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
8/18/2016
Appliance Technician: Ezekiel, Home Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago
Ezekiel
Ezekiel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, My name is ***** ***** I'm going to do everything in my power to answer your question to your full satisfaction!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay

hi there do you still have that smell do u see any black residue or residue in general from the icemaker

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Smell is still present because we haven't cleaned it yet. I don't see black residue.

I have seen this on ge icemakers go bad and short out the icemaker needs replacing the gears are plastic and an electronic control board .I can get you a price on it

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Seems to me the noise came from the motor that turns the auger. Does that make sense?

oh yes that's an auger motor that smell I just remembered there is a black plastic solenoid on the same housing that when it burns it gives a nasty strong plastic burnt smell is that what your getting

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think the ice maker is working ok. It is a plastic smell and I think it is an issue with the auger motor. The auger is also cracked. Is that easy to replace?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just checking are you still there?

yes

yes you can replace it pretty easy the u shaped metal bar on the motor shaft you must turn it counter clockwise to get it off

there is a black part on the same housing next to the auger it has 2 wires on it that's a solenoid does it look swollen as in melted there is a metal part in the center that slides up and down does it do that if you try it

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i don't see a solenoid. Do I need to remove the cover for the auger?

yes it sits on the same housing as the auger right next to it

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have the auger motor assembly taken apart. The solenoid does not look swollen but I sure think that is where the smell came from.

yes its very common that metal piece inside the solenoid does it slide in and out easily

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not sure how you get it to slide but I can't move that metal rod inside

that solenoid part has 2 screws on the housing if you remove them then you can drop the solenoid down then the rod should move

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
A bit confused there but I can now push the rod in and pull all the way out

ok so that means that the solenoid is not swollen if you found the auger motor cracked obviously its not suppose to be when you select the ice options when you select crushed ice the solenoid will not move but if you select cubed ice it will engage you will here it if it works then replace the auger motor

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just noticed the solenoid metal bracket was seperated at the top and it looks like the metal got hot. I'm confident that is where the smell came from.

great observation

so that whole part is a solenoid kit it can be replaced

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The auger plastic screw is cracked not the motor

oh I see can you repair or insert a metal screw

I can get you a price on the solenoid kit

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I need to replace the auger also. A blade is cracked and not repairable.

ok let me get you a price on it as well

Crushed/Cubed Ice Solenoid Kit

Part Number: PS11699580

$66.42

here you go

you can get it at www.partselect.com

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That is not the same solenoid that I was working on. The one I am working on is a black cylindrical in a metal bracket #stc-13c-B02. That is why I was confused.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was working on solenoid #378. The last picture you sent me was for #369. How do I know for sure which one I need?

its the same part just two different website postings but its the same part the last response I sent you with photo that's the one it requires although both the same part

please go to www.repairclinic.com enter your model number and search for the solenoid you will see it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They are not the same part. I am looking at the diagram and #378 is the solenoid kit and #369 is the ice auger motor. Not sure which one I need now. How do I know which one is bad?

you stated that the auger had a cracked blade next the solenoid had a burnt smell that the bracket was separated I'm sending you pics of both parts per your model number

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The bracket on #378 was seperated. The auger blade was broken a couple of years ago. Should the motor be fine? If in doubt I might replace the auger, auger motor and solenoid #378 since I have it torn apart.

yes I would replace both but if the auger is still working let it go but definitely replace the solenoid

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay thanks for the help!

please rate me high as that's how the site pays me thank you goodluck

Ezekiel
Ezekiel
Ezekiel, Home Appliance Technician