Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have an Amana fridge SBD21VL / SN 9809134257. It will not

Customer Question

I have an Amana fridge SBD21VL / SN(###) ###-####
It will not cool below 42 degrees, and the ice maker does not work. I have had an appliance repairman look at it, but he said something about a closed system he is not capable of dealing with. What can be done?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.

Unfortunately it sounds like you have a sealed system issue if the freezer isn't getting cold enough. You'd need a certified technician to come tap into the system to determine if you are low on freon or have an inefficient compressor. If you're low on freon a freon leak repair typically costs about $450 and a new compressor would be about $650 so neither option is cheap and may not be worth fixing depending on the condition of your refrigerator but that's up to you. I'm really sorry about the bad news.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?