Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Sub zero 650 - freezer was accidentally left open for a week

Customer Question
while on vacation. freezer...
sub zero 650 - freezer was accidentally left open for a week while on vacation. freezer defrosted. We emptied, an cleaned. When closed back up it works fine but not the ice maker. I have tried turning it off to reset but no sound of the tray cycling to restart. Also the light will not come on in the freezer only.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
8/11/2016
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

• If the door was left open for a week, the bulb is probably burnt out. As for the ice maker, is the freezer at least 15* F or colder?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I removed the bulb and put in a lamp just to check and it is working. Freezer has been back on for 3 days and is working fine. Actual temperature on the Display panel says 16 degrees.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there a reset button on the actual ice maker?

So that is too warm. The ice maker will not cycle unless the thermostat in the mold reaches 15* F. The freezer should be 0-10* F. Did you thaw the frost on the evaporator coil behind the rear wall in the freezer?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did not pull out the unit.. As this is a built in do I need to completely pull it out of the cabinetry to check this?

No, just thaw the coil inside the freezer. The easiest way is to turn the power off and leave the doors open for 24 hours. I suspect that after it has thawed it will restore ice maker function. As for the light, do you have a meter to test the socket with?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can check the socket. When I hit the "colder" on the display panel on the freezer side it showed -5 deg. / I assume is the desired temp. After a few seconds it flashed back to 12 degrees / I assume the actual temp.

Correct, it will always default back to the actual temperature.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
my freezer is down to 4*. How long before I would hear the icemaker?

I would give it a couple hours. The easiest way to diagnose ice maker issues is to manually fill the ice maker with water. If it dumps the cubes in a few hours but does not refill the ice maker tray, then there is a problem with the water fill, like a frozen fill tube or a faulty water inlet valve. If it does not dump the cubes, then the issue is with the ice maker itself or the temperature is too high and not allowing the harvest to start. Let me know what happens, please.

Hello, I see this question is still open and I was just following up to see if you require further assistance.

Kelly, Appliance Technician