Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My 4 year old whirlpool dishwasher just quit. A $345 new

Customer Question

My 4 year old whirlpool dishwasher just quit. A $345 new pump and motor did not fix it. Serviceman is coming back this afternoon. Do I need to replace - and with what brand. I want a reliable dishwasher.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 4 years old Model W10431033 A
JA: What are all the symptoms of the problem (error codes, flashing lights, etc.)?
Customer: I initially it was leaking from bottom. They put in the new pump and motor and it will not fill or run a cycle
JA: What happened just before this problem started? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Nothing happened. It just started leaking from the bottom. It washed well and ran the full cycle.
JA: Anything else you want the appliance expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your dishwasher. I would first wait for the repairman to come back out if they installed a part and it won't run at all now. Leaking from the bottom is fairly common unfortunately on this mode and typically it short out the circulation pump. The original diagnosis sounds like it could have been correct, but maybe something went wrong when replacing the part---maybe a loose wire? Hard to know until they come back out and see what they find. That being said, worst case scenario is that the water shorted out the main control board and if that is the case I would probably replace the dishwasher given the cost of the pump and the control board. If I got a new dishwasher I would definitely go with either LG or Bosch. I personally own Bosch myself.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?