Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Had our fridge/freezer thermostat replaced 2 weeks. all cold

Customer Question

had our fridge/freezer thermostat replaced 2 weeks. all cold now. but motor does not tuurn off even when temp is reached. Have turned dial down to almost zero but unit still runs cold constantly, and using unnecessary KWH's
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So first, you'll want an alternate thermostat to check the temperature inside the refrigerator because if the refrigerator is cold but doesn't get down to 37 degrees, the unit will run constantly to try to get it down to temperature. If the unit is running constantly, either the refrigerator is going to freeze everything because it's running too much (which means your new thermostat came faulty in the opposite direction as before), or if it's not getting down to temperature you could have a defrost issue or a bad fan motor preventing air form getting to the refrigerator from the freezer. The refrigerator cools by stealing air from the freezer so be sure to turn the freezer temperature to the normal setting if you turned it too cold before because that cuts air flow off to the refrigerator which stops it from getting down to the correct temperature.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?