Andy B
Andy B,
Experience:  Master Maintenance Electrician at Huntington Ingalls Industries
84167952

I have 18.2 Frigidaire and the top freezer is cold, but

Customer Question

I have 18.2 Frigidaire and the top freezer is cold, but bottom is warm can you tell what you think the problem is?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Andy B replied 11 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your situation. Please give me a few moments to properly respond to your question

Expert:  Andy B replied 11 months ago.

Okay there are a few problems that can cause this. Most likely the issue is either:

• Damper control may not be opening/closing properly. This result in not letting the cold air into the bottom compartment.
  • Your evaporator coils could be frosted over. If the defrost heater isn't working properly it will allow frost to accumulate over the coils which wont allow air to flow through coils or could possibly unplug the coils all together! If they are frosted over, testing of the entire defrost system will be needed.
  • Fan evaporator motor may have something going on with it. If you hear it making a funny noise it should be replace, or if the fan blade does not turn freely by hand it should also be replaced. You can test the motor winding's to if they have continuity with a continuity tester. If they do not the motor needs replaced for sure.

If anything I have listed needs to be in more/better detail please let me know. If you have checked any of the following also let me know!

Expert:  Andy B replied 11 months ago.

If the defrost system is faulty, it could be the defrost timer, which is normally located near the thermostat. You should be able to manually put the system into defrost. It should be easy to find. It's usually the biggest hole you see in the panel and if you look inside of the hole, you should see a round "knob" with tangs on it. With the screwdriver, turn it slowly until you hear it click. It should now be in defrost mode. If this fixes the problem it is most definitely the defrost timer.

Expert:  Andy B replied 11 months ago.

If you don't notice that it is defrosting, you will have to pull the cover located at the back wall of the freezer section off and check the defrost thermostat or the defrost heater. The back cover usually has about 4 screws you'll have to remove first.

Once you get the back freezer wall off, you are looking at the evaporator coil. Look for a little round device that is clipped to the evaporator coil, it's usually on the right side. That's the defrost thermostat. The defrost thermostat is hooked up in series with the defrost heater.

To check the defrost thermostat, You'll need to bypass it. To do this, first disconnect the power to the refrigerator and then disconnect the wires from the defrost thermostat and connect them up directly to the defrost heater. It's pretty self explanatory once you actually see how the wires are connected.

Now reconnect power to the refrigerator and after doing these steps the defrost heater comes on, then the defrost thermostat is defective.