Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

My kitchen aid side by side refrigerator is freezing up

Customer Question

My kitchen aid side by side refrigerator is freezing up behind the vegetable draw
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I do not know whether you are male/female, age or skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating.

What is the complete model off the tag please and sorry no tech has gotten to you sooner!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
KitchenAid side by side fridge
Behind veg draws keeps frosting up
Ksf26c6xyy04
Bottom half seems colder then top
Freezer is running ok all though the top also seems a bit warm
I defrosted the vent twice with warm water
I also vacuumed the coils of dust

One of the small refrigerator fans may not be running for the evaporator in the unit causing too cold of temps on the bottom and not too cold on the top. That is pretty common on that unit and they are a job to get at. You may want a tech to check them all out on that as it is a complex unit.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me!.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But even the bottom area is above 45 even though there is ice build up at the back of the veggie draws

The evaporator in the refrigerator may be frosting or icing causing this issue. If that happens then it will be cold on the bottom and warm on the top since the air can not flow through a frozen evaporator.