Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!
It is not a faulty igniter causing the issue but a switch that is allowing power to the spark module or a short in the module circuit. If you remove the knobs, you will see a switch under each one on the burner shaft. When you turn the knob, it closes the switch contacts and sends power to the spark module. The only way an electrode can spark is if the module is getting power. So, I would unplug the range and get some plastic safe contact cleaner (available at Radio Shack) and spray the switches real good while turning them on and off to clean the contacts inside. This will eliminate any moisture and grease that is closing the switch circuit with the switch in the off position. Let me know how it goes.
As for the gas shut off, there is no safety for the top burners. They will allow gas to flow when they are on regardless of any issues.
Sounds good, keep me posted!
The knobs you turn the burners on with. Unplug the appliance and turn the gas off. Remove the knob, spray the switch with contact cleaner, replace knob to turn burner valve shaft on and off several times.
Risk of fire by cleaning the burner switches with the power and gas shut off? I am not sure what he is thinking but maybe he would like to sell you a new switch harness instead, available below.