Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a GE side by side fridge model no. PS123SCPA BS. It

Customer Question

Hi I have a GE side by side fridge model no. PS123SCPA BS. It is not cooling
lights work . there appears to be a fan blowing but the temp is 81
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. Is the fan next to the compressor running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ill go check - but i think so
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its to the right of the compressor tank thing
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK perfect. If you touch the compressor is it room temperature, warm, or blazing hot?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its at room temp.
Although I just plugged the fridge back in after the weekend 30 mins ago.
It had been unplugged by someone
but when i looked at it previously it seemed to be at room temp
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

That's ok, 30 minutes is plenty long for the compressor to heat up if it was running. So unfortunately on this model if the fan next to the compressor is running but the compressor is not, it means that the power relay on your main control board behind the 8" x 10" sheet metal panel on the back of your refrigerator has failed and the control board just needs to be replaced. The board is about $145 so it's not cheap in the least but it is very easy to replace and all plug and play. It should take less than 15 minutes and below is a link to the part you'd want to order and replace for your model number.

CLICK HERE for control board

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
great - thats what i thought it might end up being .
I had to have the board replaced on another ge fridge before.
Its not possible to just replace the relay by any chance?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So if you're really good with electronics then possibly you could solder the relay on the back of the board if you remove the board and find a blackened solder joint, but other than that the board would need to just be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
got it. Better value to just replace the board I reckon. Thanks for the help.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

No problem and good luck! Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?