Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Our Maytag Fridge won't stop beeping (door alarm). This

Customer Question

Hi there, our Maytag Fridge won't stop beeping (door alarm). This started after a power outage in the middle of the night. The fridge is past warranty (1 year) and we don't have the extra money for a service call right now, and the alarm is making us crazy. Is there a way to disconnect the alarm? The temperature was not affected.
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Sorry, I would like this to say "How would we disconnect it?"
Expert:  Kelly replied 12 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

You would need to modify the control board by desoldering the alarm from it. I would strongly advise against that as you will likely damage the control. Have you tried unplugging it for at least 15 minutes to allow a full discharge and reset of the control?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi Kelly,
Thank you for responding so fast! I left in unplugged for 30 to be safe. That didn't reset it. I also checked all along the seals. The light sensor for the freezer often freezes shut slightly so I cleaned it off and the lights inside the fridge worked again and the door ajar sensor turned off, but after about two minutes it started again. I checked the seals along the fridge and they all were intact, also.
Expert:  Kelly replied 12 months ago.

May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Sure. Sorry I didn't give it to you right away. MFI22665xeb5
Expert:  Kelly replied 12 months ago.

So if the temperatures are not affected, the issue is not one with the door closing but rather the alarm circuit on the board. That will require the board, number 36 in the diagram at the link below, be replaced.

CLICK HERE

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
If we take that piece out, will the alarm stop beeping even if we do not replace it? We can't afford the part. I do appreciate you posting it very much. I had no clue it would be that pricey. I'm not concerned with the alarm working, just with the beeping to stop.
Expert:  Kelly replied 12 months ago.

That is the main control for the refrigerator. You could try removing the alarm but if you damage the board, you will not have a working refrigerator at that point and the problem becomes much different and urgent.

Expert:  Kelly replied 12 months ago.

The alarm is on the dispenser board, the little black round thing at the link below. That is what would need to be removed to silence it.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I am a little confused. I'm so sorry! By alarm, are we talking about the actual mechanism that causes the sound or a piece on the board? Are they two different things? I think for us, it might be worth trying. We can get a new fridge (less the bells and whistles) for the same price as a new board. Is the alarm #36 on the diagram?
Expert:  Kelly replied 12 months ago.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Okay. I understand a little more now. On that part, how might I mess up the board in removing it? It seems like maybe I unscrew the bolt in the middle? Is there actually more to it? I know at the beginning you had talked about some complex soldering and I definitely can't do that.
Expert:  Kelly replied 12 months ago.

There is no bolt, that is the speaker you see. It is soldered onto the board with micro points of solder. Once you access the board with a soldering iron, you risk damaging the board with the heat or shorting the micro solder points. They are barely able to be seen with a naked eye.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Oh, I see now. Would there be a way too mute the speaker, then, without needing to disturb any of the electronics?
Expert:  Kelly replied 12 months ago.

You could place a piece of foam over it and tape it in place.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Okay! I think that's a much better solution that attempting to remove it (it seems like based on our conversation, my odds are 100% that we will destroy the fridge). I don't quite understand how to find it, though. There are three small plastic clasps under the sensor area where the dispenser is but I didn't know if that was actually what I should be looking for.
Expert:  Kelly replied 12 months ago.

See the attached page.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Okay, we'll go get started! Thank you!
Expert:  Kelly replied 12 months ago.

Thank you so much! Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. Please remember to rate before you leave, using the stars at the top of the page.