Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

GE side by side, model TFX22ZRXD. Freezer at 10 degrees,

Customer Question

GE side by side, model TFX22ZRXD. Freezer at 10 degrees, refrigeration at 55 degrees. I pulled the back panel off the freezer, some icing on the lower coils. Melted ice, check defrost sensor for continuity and read okay. The defrost sensor was unclipped off the refrigerate line so clamped it back on, thought that might be the problem. The fan runs fine, sounds good. I have the settings in the refrig on max setting trying to get the frig cooled down, but it won't go below 55 degrees. The freezer went back down to 10 degrees, but the frig just won't get cold enough. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your refrigerator. First, the freezer may be freezing, but it's also too warm. The freezer should be around 0 degrees and the refrigerator should be 38 degrees. The refrigerator cools by stealing air from the freezer so the fact that the freezer isn't cold enough is really your big problem. Now you said you found some ice on the lower coils. That is certainly a problem. The coils should be lightly frosted from top to bottom. The fact that there is only frost on the bottom means you have a freon leak or an inefficient compressor. You'd need a technician to come out to determine exactly which issue you have but a freon leak is about $450 to have repaired and a new compressor is about $650.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?