Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a kenmore fridge a little over a year old... the ice

Customer Question
maker just started to mess...
i have a kenmore fridge a little over a year old... the ice maker just started to mess up making only a handful of ice in about 12 hrs
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 18 months the model number is *****
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: it depends on how much work is required
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: well during the summer the kids are in and out of the fridge all day and when i pulled the fridge out there was a lot of dust in the vents i don't know if it has anything to do with the ice maker.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
7/27/2016
Appliance Technician: John, restaurant equipment technician replied 1 year ago
John, restaurant equipment technician

Hello. I'm John. Does the compressor seem to run most of the time? Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Compresser ? If that is the noise the ice maker makes when it dispenses the ice no ... there is no additional noise from when it worked fine

Let me rephrase my question. Does the freezer temperature seem warmer than usual?

Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

The ice maker will only harvest when the temperature in the freezer is at least 15* F. So, it may be that the freezer temperature is too warm with the frequent openings, the air flow is not as it should be (too much food, forst building, etc) or an issue with the water getting to the ice maker. Are the cubes very small or hollow or just not being made quickly enough?

Inspect the condenser coil radiator, located at the bottom of your fridge, for a layer of lint blocking the air flow through it. Vacuum any debris you find, and give the freezer a couple of hours to cool down and produce regular ice cubes.

Using the expert's star rating scale, found at the top of your screen, please click the star that expresses your satisfaction with my response.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.

Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 1 year ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly.

Answer:

You should check to see the water level in the icemaker and make sure it is truly filling up with enough water. If it is not then it will only make 1-2 cubes at a time. Check to see that and let me know what you find.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me!.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician