Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

WE have a brand new Dacor Microwave & my son decides to heat

Customer Question
up his meal on a...
WE have a brand new Dacor Microwave & my son decides to heat up his meal on a styrofoam plate---after a minute, there is billowing white smoke pouring out of the lower vent & a horrific burned rubber/electrical wire smell. Tried to turn it back on & the electrical does work but the smoke continues to pour out.
what could have happened in such a short time to a brand new microwave? I know styrofoam is not good to microwave but I didn't realize it could have caused such damage. Please advise---I'm heartbroken as it was a $600 microwave that we've only had for a month!
Please advise----hope it sound like it could be repaired!! Thanks!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
7/26/2016
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 1 year ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

If the unit is less than a year old, I'd call warranty and they will come out and fix the issue at no charge. I would not mention you used styrofoam in the unit, but unfortunately it sounds like your transformer or your magnetron overheated due to the styrofoam causing the microwaves to react to strongly so either the transformer or magnetron will need to be replaced and that's about a $300 repair if it wasn't under warranty.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc