Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a french door fridge w freezer drawer on bottom. my

Customer Question
kid used the freezer door...
i have a french door fridge w freezer drawer on bottom. my kid used the freezer door when closed as a stool, the door popped open and now the door won’t close all the way. the gears on the door slides are in alignment and go all the way to the back of the freezer cabinet when closed. the door itself actually closes at the bottom, but there are gaps that get larger as you go up.
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: kenmore elite 72093
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: id like to
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/24/2016
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 1 year ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly.

Answer:

Grab the door and try to tip it, if the drawer is tight at the bottom then gapped at the top often the mounting screws get loose and then if pull on will pivot a bit and that will happen. There are side screws that you should be able to loosen and pivot the door back and tighten them.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me!.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
where are the side screws?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
do you mean the four screws that hold the door to the hardware that comes out of the freezer?

When you open the drawer fulluy look at the side do you see any screws at all? Also can you take a picture of it from the side closed and then full open?

Yes there looks to be an issue with the rock out hinges is one bent it does not appear the drawer sits flush when in the vertical position do you see that?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
perhaps the angle of the camera... both sides close flush when the door is closed

Grab the bottom edge of the drawer and pull a bit hard out and see if it moves at all

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i removed all the drawers, all that’s attached is the freezer door. do you mean pul the freezer door?

Since the drawer front is pinching at the bottom and gapped at the top pull the bottom edge straight out to try and tip the drawer front perfectly straight use a little force and you should find it will move about 1/4- 1/2 inch

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
should i do this pull with the drawer fully extended or closed?

I would do it extended at least half way

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
please take a look at the last two pics i sent and let me know what you think. even though there is a gap on the left side compared to the right, the gap on the gasket/door remains about the same on both sides.

After checking those pics and your first pics it still looks like the bottom edge is pinching like the bottom of the drawer has to tip out just a bit then it will all close symmetrically around.

Remove the screws to remove the drawer front from the rails and you should see a couple screws that mount the rails to the hinges those screws allow it to tip

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if i do what you’ve proposed, what next? will replacing those hinges fix the issue? or are you talking about some sort of adjustment? just so we’re on the same page, i’ve attached a picture to confirm i understand what you’re talking about.

Yes and in cases I have had to put a shim behind that bracket to hold the bottom edge off more so it closed tight all around.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i shimmed the bottom of each bracket, but not the tops with two washers behind each screw, which now causes the door to close completely at the top. will new hinges properly fix the problem?

Yes new hinges should fix the whole thing correct.

Just 249S and a dab of silicone is fine on the hole...even a piece of masking tape is fine.

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician