Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

My kitchen aid undercounter ice maker won't power on. It

Customer Question

My kitchen aid undercounter ice maker won't power on. It isn't the outlet or power source. When I plug it in it will make a noise but the power light won't go on and it cycles for a moment then shuts down.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: KUIC18PMXS2 18" I would have to look up the year we bought it. I just saw it the other day but don't recall. 3-4 yrs ago maybe
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: It depends on what it is.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: None of the lights on the control panel will light up. When I plug it in it begins to cycle but only for a few seconds before it stops.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dave and I'm happy to help you. Could you check your model number? I think the M may be an N?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is an N

Thanks. Your icemaker has an internal drain pump. If the inside bin light is not on you are hearing only the drain pump running in flood mode. Either the drain pump is clogged or the drain hose is blocked or kinked. Can you pull it out to check?

Just to explain further...the icemaker power cord is plugged into an outlet on the side of the drain pump. When the icemaker starts it fills with water to flush and that water goes down into the pump and triggers it to turn on. If the pump drains too slowly and the water builds up inside the power to the side outlet is cut off but the pump continues to run and at some point power is restored to the side outlet and the process starts again. If you totally bypass the pump by plugging the icemaker plug directly to the wall and the drain hose as well and it works you know the pump or kinked drain is the problem. I have seen this many times.

Have you been able to pull it out? Was the drain hose kinked?

Do you still need help?