Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

When my washer goes to the drain and spin cycle is shakes

Customer Question

When my washer goes to the drain and spin cycle is shakes like crazy and is so loud its definitely not normal. My husband things the barrel is off a track or something. The mod is GTW180SCJOWW. How do I fix myself? Please help
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

On your machine, there is a rubber strap in each corner of the tub at the top. Can you tell if they are all in place? They look like the picture at the link below.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont see any of those, is the tub where the clothes go?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

The video below will show how they are accessed. Are they intact?

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are intact, I wiggled all of them and theyre secured on both ends
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Great, thank you! Is the tub loose if you try to move it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for replying Im sorry Ive been out of touch. I think its loose because I can move it if you try to push it to the left it moves a lot like 4 in.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Just the inner tub or the entire assembly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The tub is very loose i dont know what you mean by the entire assembly.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

The wash tub that spins is loose or the entire tub (outer tub, too)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The tub that spins I guess
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Okay, that is not good. This repair will require special tools to get the tub out and extensive disassembly. Are you able to perform that and willing to purchase the tool to get the tub out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cant see two tubs, the entire thing spins, and the entire tub can be moved to the left.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

316 is the inner tub, 317 the outer tub.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Basically its fine during the wash cycle. When it drains and goes to the fast spin phase the entire tub bangs against the sides of the washer, bangs hard bc of the weight of the clothes and its loud and shakes hard even if you try to hold it still with your weight.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Do any of the corners hang low? There are four suspension rods (number 414/415) that must all be in place.

CLICK HERE

Also, are you sure all the rubber straps are intact because they should not allow the tub to move that far over if they are.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I saw the diagram and my husband said 316 is not loose from 317, its the entire tub as a whole. We will use the video you sent to take a closer look at the rubber straps but I felt with my fingers and thought they were attached they arent hanging loose.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

That is pretty odd, I would remove that top and get a closer look inside.