Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have Samsung ref model 298AAPN It has water leaking

Customer Question

I have Samsung ref model 298AAPN
It has water leaking problem, because water drain is frosting.
We turned off ret , defrosted it but after 3 days it started again
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

You are correct that this is a defrost drain issue. The drain on this model is known for freezing up so Samsung has developed a drain probe that goes down the drain hole and attaches to the defrost heater so that the issue won't return. You will want to blow compressed air down the drain hole first to make sure it's clear, then install part number da61-06796a which is the drain probe.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I' ll rate your answer after repair.
Please, give me veb site reference how install drain probe. I' ll order part today
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

There isn't an exact video for your model but below is a video that shows your unit and where the probe should be installed. Don't use a copper wire as that is just a temporary fix and the wire will loosen up over time and not transfer heat.

CLICK HERE for video

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Tyler. I ordered part da61-06796a you recommended, did not received yet.
I wa
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Alright, let me know how it goes when finished.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't see this part in the video you sent me
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

It's not there, just clip it onto the heater and extend it to the drain hole when you get it and that's all you need to do.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, I'll try, when I get part
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

ok good luck. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am waiting for part delivery, after I install it and check if it is warming, I'll answer and rate you. Do not worry, I' ll not forget.
Galina
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Ok thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, two days ago we installed part you have recommended, and today morning I see water in the refrigerator again.
Water feels out drain pipe and overflow inside refrigerator. The problem is not frozen water, something prevents water from
Dripping down to container, but pipe is clean.
What can we do now.
Sincerely, Galina
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like you're not cleaning out the drain properly. As mentioned before you need to blow compressed air down the drain to clear it out. If that not something you can do yourself then it's time to call a technician out to do this for you.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?