Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I bought my stove (WFG374LVS) in Feb 2010. When I turn the

Customer Question

Good Morning. I bought my stove (WFG374LVS) in Feb 2010. When I turn the oven on, it sounds like it comes on and then abruptly shuts off. I am getting ready to order an oven sensor (W10189186). We have figured that is what it has to be, but I am not oven maintenance literate. I really hate to waste $80. What do you think? THANKS!!!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

There is an error code that will display if the sensor was faulty, so I don't think that is going to fix it. Are you certain it is lighting before it shuts off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought so. You can hear the "poof" and the exciter clicks 3 or 4 times and nothing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there? How do I see a code?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

The error code will be on the oven display.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Can you access the bake burner and igniter to use sand paper to clean both areas where it sparks?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but I will have to get my sand paper and crawl in there and find what you are talking about. Its going to take me awhile since I am old and don't know where everything is.( :
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

The igniter is number 16, bake burner number 14 at link below.

CLICK HERE

Let me know what happens or changes after sanding.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the only burner is the one in the oven, it isn't lighting. I have to find my book.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think the gas is coming on , the igniter is clicking but it is not lighting.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

The poof would not be just the gas coming out, so I would clean the igniter and see what happens. Do you have a meter to test resistance with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't but I can probably borrow one. What am I looking for? Going back to find the ignitor.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

On the gas valve, there are three terminals. Test between the middle one to each outer one, looking for about 216 ohms. If off by much, the valve is faulty and will cause no ignition.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OMGOSH. The oven just came on. It is getting hot. No temp rise showing yet. I haven't been able to use it in months. This scares me a bit!
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hmm, that is usually the result of an issue with the spark path between the igniter and burner.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Once the flame is lit, the path from igniter to burner is completed by the moisture in the flame, telling the spark board that the burner is lit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its up to 105 but that took about 5 minutes. Now it jumped to 140. I cannot afford to buy parts to troubleshoot. Tell me what to do, please!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That sounded grouchy. I meant to sound desperate.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

I have not recommended you buy any parts. I have instructed you to clean the bake burner and igniter and test the gas valve.....

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Have you done any of that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never mind. Thank you.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Let me know what you happens after cleaning the burner and igniter and the results of the valve test, please.