Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair
89799402

I have GE side by side fridge-freezer that the ice maker

Customer Question

I have GE side by side fridge-freezer that the ice maker quit working. No water in the tray. First thing I did was to pour water into the ice maker and waited to see if the unit worked, it did. Next I pulled the back cover to check the water valve. I checked voltage at the solenoid and it does indeed have 120 V, but the valve will not open. I took the plug from the water dispenser and connected it to the ice side, then I had someone push the water dispensing valve on the door and the valve opened and water went into the ice maker. I went ahead and changed the water valve just to see if that would solve the problem, no luck. I am baffled, if I put a tester on the plug I get 120 volts but still the valve does not open. I put the other plug and activate and the valve opens as soon as the 120 volt is activated. Please help
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.
Please provide me with the model number of the unit you are needing help with so that I can give you model specific information, as soon as I get that information I will get your answer prepared as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
GE PSC23SGRC

The issue is probably gonna be with the ice maker water switch inside the ice maker, you can test the switch if you want to be sure, but if you replaced the valve then that is no the issue, its gonna be with the ice maker itself although its running the harvest cycle the water switch in the ice maker is most likely bad. click here for image of switch

Here is the ice maker service manual for that model that has more info and wiring diagram and tells in detail how the unit works, but I am pretty sure you will need to replace the ice maker. click here to open/download service manual

Here is the replacement ice maker:

Refrigerator Ice Maker Kit

Part #: WR30X10061 - click here

I linked you to one at sears but you can find them much cheaper on ebay or amazon.

*******************************************************************************

We are on the honor system here. Since I have given you the initial answer please rate/vote by selecting a star at the top of the screen and any follow up questions you may have will be free of charge and of course I will continue to help if needed.

Rating me will does not affect what you agreed to pay for the question and will not have any affect on what you have already been billed for unless you request a phone call.

Feel free to get back to me with any questions you may have but in the meantime I would appreciate you going ahead and rating the answer as this is the only way I get compensated for my time, thanks!

After you have rated/voted the answer you will be sent an email with a link that will allow you to get back to me for any follow up questions free of charge it will not close the question.

Please Know: I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money. I am just a technician on the site that is here to help assist you and have nothing to do with billing.

NOTE PLEASE READ:

When you rate/vote my answer you have to click on the star vote/rate system at the top of your screen. Typing I give you a 5 star rating in a message does absolutely nothing to help me you have to click on the rating system.

Thank You!

Tips are not expected but are greatly appreciated.

Hi there,
I was just getting back with you, I see the question is still open and I have not heard back from you is there something else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct me if I am wrong, but if the switch is not operational, we would not get power to the water valve. I have 120 volts to the water valve.

There should only be voltage from the wiring harness to the ice maker side of the valve when the ice maker has cycled and is starting a new harvest mode and it only lasts for a few seconds.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is my problem. The water valve has 120 Volts coming into the valve, but the valve will not open. So if the ice maker water switch was bad, I should not be getting power down at the water valve.Not trying to cause problems, but I do not want to order a $120 ice maker and not solve the problem. As soon as I turn the ice maker switch to "ON" power is given to the water valve (120 volts).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By the way my ice maker does not have that switch. There is a circuit board when I pull the cover.

You have the electronic version of the ice maker not the electormechanical, well if thats the case then you got a bad valve period, no other explanation, the ice maker is calling for water and sending the proper voltage to the valve and its not opening then the valve is bad, that is all it can be period, does not matter if it's it new or not its bad.

Hi there,