Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have the whirlpool duet. The rubber seal has meldew on the

Customer Question

I have the whirlpool duet. The rubber seal has meldew on the seal. It is a large flat rounded seal and the meldew is getting worse.. The door class does not dry.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately this is a fairly common issue with all front load washers. They seal up unlike top load washers when the door is closed so it creates a humid environment for mildew or mold to grow especially if you don't regularly use bleach. Either way, you can clean the seal with 10% bleach/hot water mixture and using a towel to scrub the gasket clean. That will clean the gasket but it will be permanently stained unless you want to replace the entire rubber gasket. Other than that, leave the door cracked open when the washer isn't in use. Don't click the door shut all the way but rather just rest the door shut and that will allow it to dry out on it's own.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.