John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company
22250861

I've got a Magic Chef Wine & Beverage Cooler with Dual

Customer Question

I've got a Magic Chef Wine & Beverage Cooler with Dual Temperature Zones (Model MCWBC77DZC) that is about 14 months old. Upper zone still works fine (although it seems like it's working hard to keep the temp at 45 degrees), but the lower zone has stopped cooling and always reads close to the max temperature (61 degrees). The fan in the lower zone is still working and even feels like cold air. The problem is that it seems like it always running until the top zone gets cold enough to eventually lower the temp of the lower zone by osmosis. I put a thermometer in the lower zone and it read 56 degrees, which I thought was strange, although I never actually calibrated the temp when it was working so I don't know how accurate the temp display was to begin with. What can I do to either a) troubleshoot and fix the lower zone, or b) completely disable the lower zone altogether and just use the upper zone?
Thanks,
Glenn
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Try the following door gasket seal test. Using a paper money bill, insert it at various spots around the door, while closing it as you normally do. Pull the bill out, and if you find areas where there's little or no resistance, replace the door gasket. If you need more help, please let me know.

Using the expert's star rating scale, please click the star that expresses your satisfaction with my response. I'm not paid, until you rate my service.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The seal never seemed like an issue. I checked it anyway and there are no gaps.In my troubleshooting, I unplugged it for a few days and when I plugged it back in yesterday it seemed to be working. Started at room temp (70 degrees), I set both zones to 60 and within an hour both zones had cooled. I then set the top to 48 and the bottom to 58, and again in a couple hours both had reached the appropriate temp. BUT, when I checked it again this morning, the top zone was struggling at 51 (still set to 48) and the top was 59 (set to 58) and it seems every time I check it that it is running. Obviously don't want this thing running 24x7.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I think the temperature control board is faulty, and it needs to be replaced. It's part number is(###) ###-#### ***** its price is $58.30. You can buy it at www.repairclinic.com. A replacement video is available at the website.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.