Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

2001 over range microwave internal cooling fan not going on

Customer Question
after it "shorted out?"--all else...
2001 over range microwave internal cooling fan not going on after it "shorted out?"--all else seems to be working fine. Had the circuit board panel replaced @ 5-6 yrs ago by Maytag repairman. Should I attempt to have it repaired or buy a new one?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/1/2016
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 1 year ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Good morning. Can you explain a little more about the cooling fan shorting out? The fan itself shorted out? Did you replace the fan since it shorted out yet?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Maytag MMV5000BAB--On Sunday, son firmly closed the door--didn't actually slam, but shut w/ more strength than necessary definitely! Lights went off immediately. I unplugged & we looked for a way to see if circuits were tripped (he's a 24 yo electrical engineer, which I am NOT finding very practical in day to day situations!). After several times of unplugging, the microwave went back on, but the loud noise that usually accompanies its heating is gone. It will warm up things fine if 25 secs (tea), but when I put it on the other night for 2mins.to cook a frozen vegetable burger, it seemed to overheat...w/ smoke-like reaction. I looked on line & that's where I got the idea that it's a problem w/ the "internal cooling fan". Are you licensed Maytag expert? As I said, tho it's @15 yrs old., works beautifully except now the internal light doesn't go on, so I can't tell if the turntable is moving. Also, the light underneath that illuminates the range will only work on "night" mode. Should I get repaired, if so, by whom & what would be @ cost or should I invest in a new one, which I'd rather not, of course
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No rush to answer...I have to get to work soon, but will check back for reply asap. Thanks for your help...

OK perfect, thanks for the detailed explanation. And yes, I have been factory trained by Maytag. As for your issue, either one of your 3 door switches has failed which can stop the fan from running or you could have a faulty display control board (this would be the only thing that can affect the light underneath as well). Either way, below is a video that shows you how to test the door switches. Perhaps your son can test the door switches to know if one is bad or not. If you have a faulty door switch then just replace it. If all 3 switches check good, then your control board is faulty and that probably isn't worth fixing since it would cost about $200 to have the board refurbished----that of course is up to you however.

CLICK HERE for video

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc