Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I'm stuck trying to repair my water system 11 year old Jenn

Customer Question

I'm stuck trying to repair my water system for my 11 year old Jenn Air refrigerator, Model JFC2089HES. I have had multiple, independent issues with the Water Dispenser and Ice Maker over the years. I use to carry a service contract and have had numerous repairmen simply refuse to help me. I had to remove the filter and use the bypass plug when they told me there wasn't enough water pressure. I have new pipes and plenty of water pressure. Since both systems stopped working, the online sites suggested the Water Intake Valve. I suspect the Ice Maker valve has been trouble for a while. I have replaced the valve and checked my water pressure. The electronic board is NOT the problem. When I press the water switch I can hear the electronic valve activate. Also during the day, I can hear the Ice Maker switch activate to fill the ice maker, but there is no water. When I disconnected the water supply and the Intake valve, half the water in the reservoir siphoned out, and the tank will not fill with water. I am attempting to bleed the system but the reservoir will not fill with water.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Jenn-Air is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 11 years, model JFC2089HES
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I have been doing the work myself. I have had many completely unsuccessful service calls.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I read my post and I think it's complete.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

If your water pressure is good and both the water dispenser and icemaker are being affected, then you have an issue with either the filter receptacle or a frozen water line. Now I know you have a bypass plug installed right now, but there is a diverter valve inside the receptacle for the filter and it doesn't sound like it's engaging properly---it likely could have been your issue all along but it's become worse. You'll need to pull your refrigerator out, turn the water off, and disconnect the water line coming from your filter plugged into the electronic water valve. Attached below is a picture of your valve and I drew an arrow to the water line going to the valve from the filter.

Disconnect the water line going to this connection and put it in a bucket. Plug the refrigerator back in and turn the water on. The water should come pouring out without doing anything but turning the water on. If not, then it means that your filter receptacle needs to be replaced so below is a link to that part.

CLICK HERE for filter receptacle

If the water does come pouring out, you just have a frozen line somewhere so you can try to heat up the water tank and lines inside the refrigerator but you may just need to unplug the refrigerator for 24 hours if one of the lines through the walls is frozen.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?