George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  Senior Service & Technical Manager at Allsorts Recycling & Appliance Repairs
19471162

I need to replace the dryer in my Kenmore stand up freezer

Customer Question

I need to replace the dryer in my Kenmore stand up freezer the oem replacement is capped off, I heated it with a benzene torch but they wouldn't come off . If I cut them off the line's will be the same size so I can't button solder them together. I must be missing something
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

You will need a Swaging Tool to enlargen the ends, see link below.

CLICK HERE

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to rate before you leave, using the stars at the top of the page. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I have the swaging tool so I should take a tubing cutter and cut the ends off of the oem replacement dryer, should I open up the line or the dryer and if I cut the end off of the side the capillary tube goes in will it fit snuggly.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Have you reclaimed the refrigerant properly yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Of course I have a NAZI approved EPA refrigerant recycling machine which is why I'm on a day wbsite. Can you please give me some tips on replacing the dryer in my stand up freezer Thank you so much.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much I have a few hundred dollars worth of food spoiling and I have to say I'm disappointed with your help. I have what should be a simple repair for a professional, I'm mechanically inclined and with just a little help from you I think I could successfully repair my freezer. As far as I understand it this is why you are here. So if you could please do what I paid for and help me replace the dryer in my freezer I would appreciate it and give you a positive review
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.

I am typing a response to you at the moment

Hello Bryan...

First, salvage or discharge the refrigerant using the correct procedure and equipment.. then follow:

Cut the line at the filter

Cut the capillary at the filter

Replace the filter using a brazing torch and Silver Solder

Heat and remove, or cut the charging stub at the side of the compressor

Braze a Schrader valve to the compressor using Silver Solder, or use the swaging tool on the cut stub to widen it enough to fit the Schrader Valve then braze the two together using Silver solder

Use a VAC Unit to vaccum the system to the correct pressure/vaccum relative to the refrigerant being used

Charge the system with the correct weight of refrigerant relative to the appliance configuration

Please remember to rate the assistance I have provided... Goonight

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's an awesome and detailed answer and I pretty much have my head wrapped around the vacuum charge procedure. My question is I have an OEM replacement dryer and both ends are sealed with what looks like caps but I heated them with a benzene torch and a mapps torch but the caps would not come off. I want to make sure before I cut the ends off and destroy the dryer that I am proceeding correctly.

Can you photo the dryer that you are attempting to fit, that I may try to advise...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You want me to give you a good review before you answered my question I understand the basics of refrigeration I need to know how to replace the dryer in my freezer I bought an OEM replacement both ends are sealed how do I sweat it in? Cut the ends off, remove the caps???,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where can I send a photo

I would need to see the particular dryer before being able to advise on that

use the paperclip to attach a photo