Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

GE GSH 25J..... WATER DISPENSER AND ICE DISPENSER 'T

Customer Question
GE GSH 25J..... WATER DISPENSER...
GE GSH 25J..... WATER DISPENSER AND ICE DISPENSER DON'T WORK....I HAVE A NEW WATER FILTER AND A NEW ELECTRIC WATER VALVE INSTALLED...THE ICE MAKER LIGHT STAYS OFF....AUGER ETC. WORK FINE. wHAT'S UP?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
6/24/2016
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

At the door hinge, there is a wiring connector that plugs to the main harness for the refrigerator. Can you access that plug for inspection to see if it is corroded or loose? Unplug the refrigerator before messing with the connector, it is live!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The plug and socket are in good shape. There is also a socket for an external connection. There is a water tube into the bottom of that door. Reset the plug...no freezer light yet.

Thank you. Did you unplug the refrigerator yet?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
unplugged, checked, replugged.

Thank you, ***** ***** confirm, the dispenser on the door is totally dead?

Also, can you post the rest of the model number, please? The tag is on the ceiling in the fresh food section.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the controls on tyhe door all work... nite light, ice auger etc. The light inside the freezer, behind the icemaker is out.

Your original post says the dispenser is not working, I am confused. So all works fine except the light in the freezer?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no, no water is dispensed, and it doesn't make ice.
Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago
bonzaco

Hi my name is ***** ***** it appears that Kelly has opted out - a couple of questions what is the temperature in the freezer and when you depress the water lever/button do you hear a buzzing at the rear?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Ian. The freezer is set at #8 (of 9 ), and I measure it as 0 degrees. Pressing the water dispenser lever gives a feint humming sound. When selected for ice the lever produces the auger turning sound.
Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago

OK the faint humming is the water inlet valve opening at the back, the water then comes into the refrigerator side where is is cooled and then is fed underneath and up into the water dispenser. Give me about an hour to get back from work and I'll tell you where to look next - Ian

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
waiting
Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago

OK if you take off the front kickstrip below the door you will see where the pipe is joined under the appliance. I need you to disconnect the joint (towel to hand) and then carefully depress the water lever and tell me if water comes out at the joint point?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, no water flow at open joint. Still get slight hum when lever depressed.
Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago

OK copy and paste the following link into your browser. http://www.appliancepartspros.com/fresh-food-section-parts-for-ge-gsh25jstass.html -- item number 810 is the chiller section - water goes from the valve throught the attached pipe to the chiller section and then from the chiller section across to the joint you have just disconnected. Check that the chiller section is not frozen up?? Then come back to me.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, Ian. The chiller coil is not frozen.
Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago

OK move back now to the valve on the back, I assume that you have the water turned on but now disconnect the coil supply pipe that goes into the water inlet valve (towel handy) press the lever again and see if any water actually comes out of the water inlet valve coil supply side.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, water sprays out of the water inlet valve in the back with the tube to the coil removed when the lever is pressed. Also, I removed and checked the water filter - all seems well there. So, guessing there's a block somewhere, I opened the tube connection under the front door, and ran compressed air thru from the back. Cleared that segment. Then, with the front connection still open, pressing the lever delivered plenty of water. Also triad to blow out the tube that runs up inside the door, but couldn't get a good air seal.
Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago

OK so you have water up to the connector near the door yes?

Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago

OK either you have a blockage in the pipe going up to the dispenser or the pipe itself has been crushed by the insulation. First thing to do is take off the door and see if you can get a long piece of wire up inside the water pipe - come back to me when you have done this with your results.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Before chasing that problem further, can the ice maker be fixed? It is much more jmportant to us. The vexing symptom is that the small light inside the freezer isn't operating, and the on/off switch is not powering up the ice maker. In the past I replaced the mother board to fix another problem, and later a thermister was replaced. The ice maker worked, but later failed. As well, the auger broke from chunks of cubes: it's been replaced. I have been thinking that it was a water supply problem, but with the new supply valves working OK, maybe not. ???
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ian, I did run a wire up into the door tube. It went up pretty far - no obstruction. So the block must be in the control area. If I could figure out how to take front panel off, I might clear it.
Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago

OK can you give me the full model number so that I can find the illustrated diagram for the dispenser area.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
GSH 25j FTACC
Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago

Copy and paste the following link -- http://www.searspartsdirect.com/model-part/gsh25jftacc/0432/0165000/g0810060/00001.html -- item number 11 is just a clip on frame but be careful removing it as it no longer available. Once you have the frame off you just unscrew and remove items as needed to get at the supply pipe - Ian

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Done, thanks. But the goose neck nozzle seems glued into the door. I am going to get some other gauge wire to try to clear it from the bottom. Meanwhile, any ideas on the ice maker?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ran a better braided wire up tube - blocked about 10 in below nozzle. Tried a heat gun in case frozen, but no results.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you done, Ian?
Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago

Looks like you will have to replace the door then or manage without the water - sods law.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll go without water. But need the ice maker to operate.
Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago

OK to reiterate have you got water going into the ice maker?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no water, no "on" light
Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago

Have you got a multimeter?

John, Home Appliance Technician