Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

My maytag dryer turns on but when I t start, it stays on

Customer Question

my maytag dryer turns on but when I hit start, it stays on "sensing" and doesn't turn on
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: about 8 years old model number MEP9800TQ0
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: when it stopped working, a piece of laundry was in the door and I pulled it out and now it won't work
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dave and I'm happy to help you. Can you check the third letter in the model number? You said it is a P but could it be a D?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MED9800TQ0, sorry about that

Thanks. The problem may be the thermal fuse. Turn off power to the dryer and remove the lower front panel. Here is a link to a video replacing the fuse. It is on the blower duct behind the lint filter area. The video shows a lot you can avoid if you just remove the filter duct working only from the bottom. Put the two wire from the fuse together and tape them temporarily. Try the dryer and it is runs you just need to replace the fuse. This is just for testing, not to be run this way. Thermal fuse replacement video link.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still won't work. Control panel lights up, but when you hit start, it just clicks, but will not start
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
control light stays on "sensing"

Okay, there is one more thing we can check without a meter. There is a "broken belt" switch. Can you see if the belt is still attached around the drum?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my husband is an electrician. He had the dryer apart. He metered everything. The belt is intact and on correctly. He thinks that it is the computer board. I think when I pulled the laundry that was stuck in the door out, it tripped something.

Make sure the door switch clicks when you push in the switch button behind the door. Did he check the door switch for continuity? When the door is closed it should close from blue to white.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he checked that. The switch is working properly

Okay, with the top off have him check at the main control on the left side of the drum from P1-5 (black) to P1-4 (light blue) . After you press start he should read 120 vac.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is voltage with the controls off, same when it is on

You sure you are on Light blue? Black to blue would have power all the time but light blue feeds to the motor and should not have power until you press start.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the light blue has power when the dryer is off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
everyone has 120 volts

Just to confirm, go from the light blue to a frame ground. Try it on and off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no voltage

Okay, if no voltage either way you need a control as long as you have 120 from each side of the supply to neutral at the dryer terminal block where the cord is attached. Let me know if you need part numbers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
their is voltage coming in where the cord is attached

Right, I was just asking to confirm we had a good neutral. If it is all correct you need a new control. If you have a floating neutral in the house the new control will not help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I'm not going to pay more, He can have it diagnosed at a shop for 43.00. Just thought I could do it this way

I'm not asking for anything more. Just letting you know that based on your testing you need the control.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry, I read the line about calling into you. I thought you sent that. So I need a control, not a circuit board? Can you give me the part number?

It is the control on the left side of the drum where you were checking for power. Part number(###) ###-#### Check this link for the picture to be sure that is where you were doing the voltage checks. Control link

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is the part that he thought he needed. Very expensive part. I guess its time to go back to the old school washer and dryer that doesn't have all these electronics. Thanks

I guess not many of us are willing to do that again, LOL! Best wishes to you.