Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Bosch SHE4AM15UC Dishwasher that won't drain and

Customer Question
complete a cycle. I'm fairly...
I have a Bosch SHE4AM15UC Dishwasher that won't drain and complete a cycle. I'm fairly handy.
If I drain the water myself and start dry, the dishwasher appears fine and the drain pump runs for 20-30 seconds continuously with no strange noises and then the dishwasher moves onto the next part of the cycle. If I start with water in the bottom, the drain pump runs for 4-5 short bursts and then the dishwasher displays the clean light, like it has successfully completed the cycle.
So far, I've cleared out all of the drain hoses on the appliance itself, as well as the hose that goes back to my sink. I didn't find any significant debris. I tried buying and installing a new drain pump. Same issue. I also changed out the computer board. Same issue. I also tried disconnecting the turbidity sensor and that doesn't seem to have an effect.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
6/18/2016
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

What is the part number of the board that you replaced?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello, Kelly, thanks for picking up my question.Here is the board that I replaced:
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/bosch-control-unit-668460-ap4355266.htmlHere is the drain pump that I replaced:
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/bosch-pump-drain-611332-ap4339596.html

The board you replaced is just the User Interface, basically just the switching board. The main board is mounted in the tub in the right rear corner. I suspect it is the part that needs to be replaced.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

CLICK HERE

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks. I'm going to order and install that part and I'll let you know if it solves the problem.

Sounds good, keep me posted.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I received the part today and I just installed it. Unfortunately, I still have the same problem.
Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago
bonzaco

Hi my name is ***** ***** seems my college has opted out so I will pick up the thread and continue if that is OK with You? Do you have a multimeter or access to one?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do have one.
Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago

OK first thing to do is to get access to the drain pump ~ pull off the two cables and then connect your multimeter set on AC volts up and then start a program, the first ten or so seconds are a sump empty pump out so you should be able to see if you are getting any voltage to the pump? Come back to me with your results - Ian

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I see the AC voltage numbers jump around a little bit a few seconds after it turns on.
Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago

OK what voltage have you got roughly

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's very quick and inconsistent. It's not like I see it slowly ramp up to a number or hit a number and stay there for a second or two. It basically displays some random numbers and peaks around 80 volts or so.
Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago

OK how many cables have you got connected to the pump? There are two versions of the pump a single phase and a 3 phase?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
3. When I check across one pair of 2 of them, I get nothing. When I check across another 2, I get sporadic numbers that seem to peak at a lower voltage. When I check across the their combination I get the higher voltage that I previously described.
Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago

OK put the meter on resistance (ohms) and tell me what readings you get between 1-2, 2-3 & 3-1 you have the 3 phase pump. Note and disconnect the cables when you are doing the test.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did it again and I got more consistent readings this time. It definitely looks like it's jumping up around 120v quickly, two times when it tries to start. It looks like I get the same thing on 1-2, 2-3, and 1-3.
Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago

OK so we have a consistent reading there which is good - with the pump out of its housing but connected to the electric does it spin when you start the program as before?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The pump will spin whenever there is no water in the bottom of the dishwasher. If I pull it out, the water will drain out of the drain hole and there will be no water. Hence, it would spin.
Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 1 year ago

OK I need to clarify a point here as both my college Kelly and I have worked on the assumption that there is a problem with the appliance pumping out - are you now saying that this is not the issue - the issue is that the pump runs irrespective of there being water in the tub area?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, I detached the pump and left the wire harness hooked up to it. When I start the dishwasher, the pump will spin for about 30 seconds or so like that. I see it spinning, so it definitely looks like is working. Also, when I start the dishwasher with the pump in it, and no water in the bottom of the dishwasher, I hear it do the same thing. And the dishwasher actually moves on to the next part of the cycle when I do that.The problem is that if I start the dishwasher with some water in the bottom, the pump does not run for 30 seconds like that. It runs for 4-5 short bursts and then a few seconds later the "Clean" light comes on. It does this same thing whether I have the discharge hose connected to the sink or not. There is no obstruction in the hose.Something in the dishwasher is changing the way the pump works when there is water in the bottom of the dishwasher. It just feels like something is detecting the water and telling the pump to behave differently. Thanks.
bonzaco
bonzaco
bonzaco