How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Appliance Guru Your Own Question
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 15136
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Appliance Guru is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Looking "silver bullet shaped parts” there are three of them

Customer Question

Looking for the "silver bullet shaped parts” there are three of them inside the waveguide of a Kitchenaid microwave, model KHHC2090SSS1. There are three of them that hang down inside the waveguide tunnel. They look like they are made out of aluminum. It is not part # ***** Each one is mounted with a screw in the flat end. They are about 1-1/4” in length approximately. Two are melted and one is intact.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly.

Can you take a picture of it and upload it here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It won't be until later today after my last call. I maybe able to get my phone in there to snap a picture. They are the only objects hanging down from the ceiling of the waveguide tunnel.
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

The wave guide tunnel is not sold though as a separate piece those are just deflector tabs. Take a pic just so I am 100% sure we are on the same page.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm including 4 photos, 1 & 2 are the same, just a little bit of an angle difference. Same with photos 3 and 4. I know you said "tabs" in your response before, but they are cylinder shape, not a tab, so just want to clarify. Also, if these are not needed, what do you patch the existing holes with? It's a convection microwave so not sure what material to use to patch the holes, again if they are not needed.
Thank you.
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Yes that is part of the cabinet itself and you can not get that separately. You may have to get a new microwave or if you repair it ( spot weld or attach a bolt or something similar to serve as a deflector make sure you epoxy paint it on both sides and it should work.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please clarify - if using a bolt, what type of metal should it be made out of? Brass, steel, aluminum or ??? Does it have to hand down into the waveguide of just plug the hole? Also are we painting the bolt, the waveguide or both on both sides? Please keep in mind this is a convection microwave.
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Just a steel bolt if you can have it hang down in the wave guide and yes you need top paint both sides of it use something like this


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey, just trying to understand: So what are these things made of? And how is hanging a bolt in there going to do anything? Why can't I just plug the holes with stainless screws and be done with it? This is a $1000 microwave and I have to be sure doing whatever you suggest will, in fact, work.
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

I can not guarrantee anything will work 100% the cavity has been compromised. You could plug the holes and it may work fine, those are deflectors for the microwaves traveling down the tube so I think you should put something in to serve as one, you could try not to, but once again no guarrantees on this. The unit is made of steel and painted that is all.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
These pieces are definitely not steel. They seem more like they are aluminum or magnesium or something like that. They way they melted, it's some other type of material, not steel. Thoughts?
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

just stamped tin or stainless sprayed with an acrylic coating

Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

see if a magnet sticks to it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not steel or stainless steel. Found another tiny chunk of it inside. It's not magnetic. It's light like aluminum or magnesium.
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Some are aluminum they would not spend the money for magnesium, it is likely just aluminum they make these really as cheap as they can.