Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

How does the thermistor being off slightly affect the fridge

Customer Question
so that the cooling is...
how does the thermistor being off slightly affect the fridge so that the cooling is off by 40 degrees
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: ge profile arctica 10yrs
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I am
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: i think i need to take a lude cuz im gunna pull the doors off this fridge in sec
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
6/4/2016
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

The temperature is off 40* at the display?

May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ge profile PSS25MGMA
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have the temp at #8 for the fridge and the Freezer

What are the temperatures in each section?

Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section? Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
42 Freezer
60 fridge
there was a ice on the bottom coils and side feed tube when i removed the rear panel in the freezer
all fans seem to be running

Is there an even frost on the coils now, do you know?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
just frost on bottom 3 coils

Can you post a picture? This will be very important so I can get you the correct information.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry it has been off for a few while i checked some voltages

Oh, okay. So does the freezer get down to 0* or so and the fresh food has issues or when it is running, what are you seeing?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
freezer gets down to 40F and fridge gets down to 60F
- has new control board
- didn't solve problem
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
compressor is warm and vibrating
condenser fan on
freezer fan on
fridge fan turns on when door open and door button pressed

If the freezer will not cool below 40* F and the compressor stays running, you have a low coolant level. That would also be supported by the partial frost on the evaporator. This is a sealed system repair that will require specialized tools and training. You can expect it to run about $350 + parts. At 10 years old, I am not sure I would recommend investing that much into that refrigerator.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to rate before you leave, using the stars at the top of the page. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
checked thermistors in ice water...from what i read on line they should be at 16.3K ohms +/_ 5%
Freezer- 15.2 ohms
Fridge upper - 16.2 ohms
Fridge lower - 15.8 ohmsso would the thermistors have any effect>?

Not if the compressor is running. They will toggle the compressor off but the compressor is running and not getting cold enough.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
yeah compressor runs constantly. think that the temp has been slowly rising over the last month or so...
thermistors don't seem that far off that they would cause a big issue
Wont be investing $350+ into this machine

Yeah, you have a low pressure leak...time to go refrigerator shopping, I'm afraid.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Makes sense, everything else checked out as far as i could tell. wonder if they will take back the control board i just paid 150 for... Thanks for your help. you saved me a trip across town to purchase some thermistors.

Typically, they won't allow returns on installed parts. You can sell on eBay or Amazon if they won't though. I would take the rest of the parts out and see on there, too! The shelves and crispers are expensive new, you will make back your money with no problem! I can help with part numbers if you want to take the time to list them for sale!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey! great idea! Sure, do you have a part list for the fridge? or at least the main sellable parts

I do! All of the parts are shown and listed by part number at the link below. List them with the part numbers and I bet you do pretty good, especially once you see some of the retail prices!

CLICK HERE

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks again for your help

My pleasure, thank you!

Kelly, Appliance Technician