Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My GE Profile Refrigerator temperature says freezer is 11

Customer Question

My GE Profile Refrigerator temperature says freezer is 11 deg and refrigerator is 39 deg. When I push the buttons to lower the temps it just goes back to the higher settings. Please help! Thank you. Nancy
Submitted: 1 year ago via ApplianceRepair.Net.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So first, I want to explain why the temperature go back to the higher settings. After you set the temperature, the display reverts back to showing the ACTUAL temperature inside which is why it keeps showing 11 and 39. The real problem is that the temperature is just too warm.

Now the refrigerator cools by stealing air from the freezer, and the freezer is warming up. The freezer should be 0ºF so it's starting to affect the refrigerator section. Now 11 degrees should be cold enough to keep the refrigerator down to 37 fairly easily which means that there is likely an air flow problem. It sounds like you have a defrost issue that you need to thaw out, but to be certain you'll need to pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel inside the freezer. If the silver coils behind this panel are packed with frost, then you need to thaw out all the frost with a hair dryer to get the unit cooling down properly again because you have a defrost issue. Also, if the frost comes back after a couple weeks then you have a bad defrost heater or defrost thermostat or control board that would need to be replaced. Otherwise if the frost doesn't come back then one of the doors was likely just left cracked open too long.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.