Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a whirpool duet washer that is giving error code f

Customer Question

I have a whirpool duet washer that is giving error code f du. It will not unlock. It acts like it is starting but quits right away.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. F du means that you have a failed door lock that won't unlock which is apparently accurate. You'll need to manually open the door first, then replace the pressure switch under the top panel mounted to the right side wall to get rid of the error. To unlock the door, remove the 3 screws along the bottom of the lower front panel. The panel will then pull straight down and off. Once you remove this panel you can reach up behind the upper front panel and pull down on the small plastic pull tab attached to the bottom of the door lock assembly. This will manually unlock the door so you can open the door. Try the washer again and if you still get an error you need to replace the latch.

It's actually a fairly easy part to replace if you're handy. You'll need to unplug the washer and open the door to start with. Then there is a wire ring around the front lip of the rubber door gasket. Use a flat head screwdriver and pry the wire ring off. From there you can pull the gasket back out of the way. Remove the screws going into the door latch from the front and reach behind to replace the door latch assembly.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.