Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My GE side by side refrigerator Freezer door does not close

Customer Question

My GE side by side refrigerator Freezer door does not close by about 1/8 inch vs. fridge side. I adjusted level the doors but can't get it to close tight?
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: did you get my note?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Appliance Technician should know?
Customer: I don't think so?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your refrigerator today. Can you explain what you mean by "does not close by about 1/8 inch vs. fridge side"? Are you saying the door doesn't shut all the way so the gasket isn't sealing up? Or is the door too low/high so the tops don't line up? Do you have a model number located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just doesn't close all the way and seal...1/8 inch on freezer side. I adjusted the doors and checked with level they are good.
Model PSS271NGMB BB made by GE in Mexico.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK perfect, thank you. So first of course, make sure there isn't something like a shelf or food hitting the door and preventing it from closing all the way. If you find nothing, then your door closing cam and closer is just not pulling the door shut for some reason like it should. This is the part on the bottom door hinge that shuts the door and it's made of plastic so it wears down over time. Remove the vent panel at the bottom of the door and inspect to see if you can see anything physically wrong. Compare with the refrigerator side if needed. This closing assembly has 3 parts involved so if one of them is broken or worn down then you can order it in the link below. CLICK HERE for closing cam CLICK HERE for closer CLICK HERE for spring We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.