Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have an older model Kenmore French door refrigerator. At

Customer Question
I have an older model...
I have an older model Kenmore French door refrigerator. At first the back of the freezer kept icing up preventing air flow to the upper refrigerator, Had to de-ice it. Now back of the freezer fill ups with ice that looks more like snow covering the back of the freezer and then the fan sounds like it runs for long periods of time making a labored sound
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Appliance Technician should know?
Customer: the water for the ice maker is not hooked up
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/20/2016
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 1 year ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Good morning. Do you have a model number so I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section and seen if you open the door.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
not home at the moment
OK well I can tell you what's wrong but I won't be able to look up parts without a model number. Does your refrigerator have a digital display or do you turn knobs to adjust the temperature?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
turn knobs
let's start by explaining the possibilities for your symptoms. This means that you either have a defrost problem or the fan inside the freezer behind the back panel isn't running fast at all (you would visibly be able to see the fan blades as it's trying to turn because it's rotating so slow) and needs to be replaced. Pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel. If the fan isn't running then replace it. If there is a lot of frost build up, then use a hair dryer to thaw it all out. You will then need to test continuity through the defrost heater and defrost thermostat. The defrost heater runs along the bottom of the silver coils and the defrost thermostat is the 1" round device clipped onto the top of the silver coils. If either part doesn't have continuity, you need to replace it or it stops the unit from thawing on it's own.To remove the back panel itself, just remove all the screws going into the back panel to start. There is a plastic vent directly in the middle toward the top of the back panel that you must unclip. There are 3 hidden clips you must pry on with a flat head screwdriver to release this vent panel and below is a picture where I drew an arrow to all the clip locations you need to pry on. To the right of this vent is a little oval plastic cover which houses a temperature sensor. Slide a flat head screwdriver into the slit on the front of the cover and pry in the hole to release this cover and get the sensor out of the way. Now you can pull the back panel off. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc