Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a kitchen aid superba fridge from 2002, ice maker won't

Customer Question
make ice. Little red indicator...
I have a kitchen aid superba fridge from 2002, ice maker won't make ice. Little red indicator is blinking twice and pause then repeating. Teeth were just facing up, then moved into down position. I hear a hum when I press the ice button, and flap does open up. Help!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/18/2016
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 1 year ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly. Check and see if the red light goes solid when you press the left side flap in with the door open and make sure you are not blocking the optic beam.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the red light does go solid when I close the flap with door open. Now the teeth moved though. They are facing backwards. And the red light is not flashing.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Now they are up, but still facing backwards. So they are moving
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Actually I am watching them move, and I hear them moving.
Ok tell me where they stop and can you grab and squeeze the black tube that is in the ceiling to the icemaker and squeeze it or is it rock hard?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did squeeze it, it is not hard. I think the teeth started moving when I squeezed it. They haven't stopped now. This is the first time they are continuously moving in a circle. It's a ticking noise as they move in a circle.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just as of said that, they stopped upwards facing about 45 degrees at the rear. And yeah red light is blinking again.
the icemaker is broken, that is a bad gear. You need to replace the icemaker to get it working again, they typically last about 7-10 years on average and then need to be changed out. All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is the optic beam supposed to have that metal on off bar in it. My fridge doesn't have that metal on off bar. I have been told that bar is what we need to fix it
No you do not need that and that will not fix this issue.
You just need a new icemaker that happens a lot.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How much is a new ice maker? Where do I get one?
You can get one here CLICK HERE
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do I need anything else to connect it? Or just that? How easy is that to take out and install the new one? Any tips?
Here you go CLICK HERE All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks so much! Last concern is, my water that comes out of the fridge is usually never cold, or only slightly cold. Other people's fridges that I try always come out cold water even without ice, is this related to the ice maker? Or something else? Can it be fixed?
You would have to install a new line behind the crisper drawers or keep it colder in the refrigerator section for that issue.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My refrigerator is already max coldness I believe. Do you have instructions for installing the new line ? And preferably part numbers?
Do you have the complete model number off the tag?
Also the site frowns on me answering different questions so if you can please rate this one so I can continue with the water cold issue if you can.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi sorry, reason I haven't rated it yet iso because I was waiting. I bought the ice maker and replaced it and it isn't working. The teeth aren't spinning at all
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They are facing at me in a normal position, however not moving. Only other thing I can think of, should I have read used old wiring harness or new one that came with the new ice maker
How long have you let it run with the icemaker in?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I mean I've had the ice maker in for atleast 8 hours. It is freezing cold but won't do anything. I saw it move slightly before, the teeth went facing straight up, and now they are down again facing towards me. Nothing is happening.
Is the mold full of water?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I don't think it is.
Did you check the fill tube to see if it is frozen with water...squeeze the tube you should be able to squeeze it if not it may be frozen with water.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If you're talking about just the black rubber tip that's sticking out, yeah I squeezed it. But it looked like the black rubber goes up into the top of the fridge, could it be frozen in the top there?
It could be, but you may have a water valve or supply issue.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there any way to find out what it is ? Water comes out fine from the fridge for drinking?
Fill up the icemaker manually and see if it ejects cubes in an hour or two, if so and the tube is not frozen the valve would be bad if you have a new icemaker. There is a dual valve one for the ice and one for the dispenser. So I would say the valve would be bad if it works when filling it up manually.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Something I noticed too, before I replaced it, somehow the old one started working a bit, like the teeth were spinning I guess the way they eject the ice. On the new ice maker, the teeth don't move at all. Are they supposed to move even if the tray isn't filled up?
They will only move when the harvest thermostat is cold enough to trip
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the thermostat isn't getting cold enough, so despite the water valve potential problem, there could be another problem that it isn't getting cold enough?
Even with no water it may only rotate once every 30-45 minutes, the easiest way to find out is just fill the mold with water and see if it freezes and ejects them.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just filled it now, so I guess I will wait and see. So if it does eject, you think it's a bad valve?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is that a difficult or expensive fix? I'd hate to keep trying new things and buying new parts and they won't work
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also, should I have re used original wiring harness
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The water has pretty much already frozen in the tray
Did the cubes eject
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
they did, and a few additional updates. The blades are in a downward position now. Still facing towards me, but down. There is still some frozen water at bottom of tray but not enough for ice it doesn't feel like. And the red indicator light is no longer on.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The teeth are facing upwards now, they must be moving, and I just heard a click in the ice maker but no water
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
suddenly the ice is melted that was stuck on the bottom of the tray, so I don't know what it's doing.
The cavity may not be getting cold enough to freeze it sounds like
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well the ice tray is frozen again and red light on again. And it made the cubes and ejected them before
Then you must have a bad valve.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you have a walk through for replacement ? And part number ? Or is it very difficult?
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician