Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

We have a Kenmore range 790.95393902. the up arrow on the

Customer Question

Hi we have a Kenmore range 790.95393902. the up arrow on the oven temp stopped working so last week we replaced the oven control board with a new board from sears parts. The range worked fine for a week. Yesterday the oven was on for an hour and we heard this loud think from stove but lights and oven continued to function.
Today the cooktop does not work and the oven does not work even though oven contra board seems to be working fine with clock, oven temp, and upend down temp buttons still working.
Only 1 light lights up for one surface burner but nothing else works. The circuit breaker was fine but tried resetting by turning the breaker off and on 3 x's. No change.
after leaving circuit breaker off and stove unplugged we took the back off the range and everything with all the connections, new oven control panel and bottom of back connections which we are assuming are stovetop, all look good. But one larger fuse on middle right bottom of back is brown like it blew. We put $120.00 IN TO IT SO FAR. THE kenmore SMOOTH SURFACE COOKTOPS have been reported for years toConsumer Protection Agency. Could it be that Sears sent a n oven control panel that was defective and blew out range a week later? Is it worth repairing? We cannot find that fuse in appliance repair parts sites or schematics. Can you help? Thank you
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks! Can you post a picture of the fuse you see that appears to be burnt? I have the wiring diagram for that unit and it does not show a fuse. Also, do you have a meter to test voltage with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I do not and I am disabled and just put back on so I will take it off and get back to you with a pic before 4. I need to rest a bit. No no voltmeter. Its actually my cousins stove and i would love if I had proof that putting in new control board had nothing to do with whole stove failing.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
It sounds to me like there is a problem with the voltage from the home's supply to me. The only way to tell will be to test with a voltmeter, though. That range is made by Frigidaire and is pretty simple. I doubt the new control caused the trouble you are seeing now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I got the pics so how do I send them to you?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
There should be an ADD FILE tab or a paper clip icon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i semt pics from my phone to an email addressed to me but need a minute to figure out cause add files button did not work till i put in document
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, that email will not get to me, it will get lost in the system. If the ADD FILE button does not work, you can send them to***@******.*** and they will forward them to me but it takes some time for them to do so.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kelly I paid with AE this morning. Then I saw AE questioned the charge in an email so I sent back it was legitimate and AE said ok we will let the charge thru but my answer was still locked out . I then called JUST ANSWERS and told them what happened and they said it might take overnight for the charge to go thru again. I asked if they couldn't just put it thru now and they said no but they would give me a free JUST ANSWERS so I can get my answer today before my cousin comes back from caring for a sick family member about this stupid stove so give me a minute to see if I can access the pics for you pleas
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
There is no issue with getting an answer to you. We just need to know what the part is that has burnt. I do not delay anything so as soon as I can see the picture I can tell you what it is. It is not a fuse, so I am not sure what it is that looks like has burnt.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand and I am trying to get pics to you so hang on please. I know it wasn't you . Its the system and its frustrating
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I agree, we share the same frustration! ;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I think I almost have it so please be patient
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I am here all day, please, take your time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I send the pics from me email send it to down loan on computer, hit add files, pick my downloads and pics not there even though I saw the little icon send it to downloads. Ill get it yet Kelly
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
No worries, we aren't bound with any time restrictions at all. Do you have a "Recent Places" tab that they may be hiding in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Kelly I tried to give you pic of whole back then burned out area that looks like fuse to me and then all the other electrical areas on back stove just in case so it looks like they all attached so am sending now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Take your time. I will be here
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Awesome! Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
absolutely
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Are you seeing the part at the link below? Is that the part that looks burnt? CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The oven control panel still working clock temp up n down arrows clock etc but now no working oven or stovetop. Only1 burner control knob lights up but no burners go on for your info. Remember the loud thunking noise yesterday
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Correct, there is an issue with the power supply to the oven. I suspect a burner switch wire may have come off and is shorting the L2 line of the breaker and not allowing it to reset. Everything looks okay in the pictures you sent. Can you take the top access panel off and see if any switch wires may have come off and shorted?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the first thing I did was take the top panel off and look at all the connections on the new oven control panel and everything was solidly hooked up. All the other connections looked good too. the only thing I found was that burnt out tube on lower panel area.If you really want me to pull it again I will but I pushed in every connection on top and they were all sold
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
solid
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you do want me to pull top panel again?
after i pull plug first of course
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That one picture I linked you back was to the light socket. Just above that and to the right is the oven sensor. I don't see any issues with anything back there. If we had a meter to test voltage with, I suspect we would find that the breaker is probably tripped on one side. There are two lines, L1 & L2. L1 feeds the electronic control and the lights. L2 feeds the elements, oven and top. So, you can lose the L2 line and still everything will light up. Since only one burner switch turns a light on, I really do suspect something has happened near the switches up there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok goin to pull top panel off again
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Sorry this is not a quick and easy fix, I know this is frustrating for you....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have back off just trying to get pic to you again
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
See any arc marks or anything on the cover or loose wires?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no nothing its clean
lookin noww flashlight
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Excellent, thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok just used flashlight n magnifying glass on every single freakin connection n no arcing marks no partial disconnections broken words nothing I can see but I will try n send that pic again
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Ii has to be an issue at the power supply then, maybe at the cord connections or the outlet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
almost up w new pics
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Sure, thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could a defective oven control board short everything else out
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Everything looks good. I think we need to get a look at the outlet wiring, if you are comfortable doing that. With a test meter we could see without opening the outlet cover. With no meter, we can only visually inspect. Turn the breaker off to the range and see if the outlet cover can be easily removed to see if there is an issue inside.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
No, the board would not cause the burners not to work and not show a short. Something has the L2 line shorted out or burnt off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SCARY WITH 220 BUT WHY WOULDNT THAT TRIP A BREAKER FIRST?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
It probably did, it may be tripped inside but not show at the switch itself. The L1 side is still on if you have lights. They are two separate breakers, even if only one switch shown at the breaker box.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
CAN YOU EXPLAIN WHERE THE L2 LINE IS?
THE SAME 220 RECEPTACLE HAS BEEN THERESINCE HOUSE BUILT IN 1977 WITH NO ONE MESSING WITH IT EXCEPT ME TODAY PLUGGING AND UNPLUGGING IT
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WITH ME TURNING THE DOUBLE BREAKER WITH ONE HANDLE FOR THE STOVE 3X'S IN ROW WOULDNT THAT RESET THE BREAKER UNLESS THE STOVE WILL NOT LET IT?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OFF AND ON
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
On a 240 VAC outlet, you have two wires that carry the line voltage, a neutral line and sometimes a ground wire. Both the line voltage wires (red & black) go to a separate breaker. Sometimes they are two breakers or one big breaker, but they are two independent switches.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
If there is a short in the wiring, it won't allow the breaker to be reset. We have looked in the range, nothing shorted in there. It would have to be at the outlet.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Or between the outlet and the breaker box.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I GET VOLTIMETER TOMORROW AND TEST EVERYTHING AGAIN? TOO MUCH FOR ME NOW. CAN YOU SAY FOR SURE THAT IT DOES NOT LOOK LIKE THE STOVE OR FUNNY THAT THIS SHOILD HAPPEN 1 WEEK AFTER I PUT OVEN CONTROL BOARD IN
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I do not see anything at issue with the range from what we have looked at. Testing with a meter will be the only way to know anything for certain, though.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The poor connection may have caused the board to fail initially and when the current of the bake elements was applied again, it broke the connection entirely.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DO IT. SEEN IT DONE BUT NOT SURE WHAT TO SET IT AT AND WHAT IS BAD READING AND TEST EVRY SINGLE CONNECTION ON THE BACK OF THE STOVE I GUESS
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The only thing we need to test is the main power in. Once you get a meter, post the model and I can tell you where to set it and how to test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ONE METER BETTER THAN ANOTHER?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
A digital one is easier to read but they cost a bit more (starting about u$15 or $20).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK DIGITAL IT IS. I CAN BE BACK AT 11AM ESTD TIME WITH VOLTIMETER TOMORROW. SO HOW DO I REACH YOU AND HAVE I TOLD YOU HOW VERY VERY MUCH I APPRECIATE IT KELLY? DO YOU SEE MY COUSIN WILL BLAME ME CAUSE A WEEK LATER AFTER I PUT CONTROL BOARD WHOLE STOVE STOPS WORKING. I HAVE BEEN STAYING AT THEIR HOUSE IN FLA FOR WINTER AND I HAVE DONE SO MUCH BETTER THAT MY HUSBAND AND I WILL BE MOVING SHORTLY BUT LEAVIN AN WEEK AND HATE TO LEAVE ON BAD NOTE SO I GOTTA FIX THIS ON A BUDGET. THANK YOU
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
You can just reply back, usually easiest from a link sent to your email. I am here for as long as it takes, not to worry! I admire your persistence and willingness to reach out of your comfort zone on this. I know this stuff is not easy and can be a bit scary, too! Hang in there, we will get to the bottom of it!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY TIRED HEART. BUT NOW I HAVE YOU TO HELP ME REACH OUT OF THAT ZONE. HAVE A GOOD NIGHT AND THANKS AGIN KELLY. WILL TALK TO YOU TOMORROW AROUND 11 AM UNLESS MY OTHER COUSIN TAKES ANOTHER TURN FOR WORST N THEN I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN I CAN TOMORROW
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I will be here whenever you are able to proceed, not to worry. I hope all turns out well for you. I definitely know firsthand how life can change in an instant (see below), so please know that there is no hurry or time limits at all! CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THANKS AGAIN KELLY. NO ONE SAID LIFE WAS EASY RIGHT.NIGHT
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Nothing could be more true! Goodnight!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HEY KELLY. I GOT THE VOLTMETER AND HAVE BEEN WATCHIN VIDEOS ON HOW TO USE IT. I CHECKED THE 220 OUTLET AND GOT 114 ON FROM TOP TO SIDE ON BOTH SIDES AND 240 WHEN DID 2 LONG SIDES. SHOUD I PLUG IN AND CHECK WHERE THE POWER CORD COMES INTO THE BOTTOM OF STOVE IN BACK?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome back! Yes, if you can plug it in and then test the cord terminals using the same method, that will be great! Red to black should read 240 volts, red to white and black to white should read 120 volts. Let me know what you find!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
red to black 0 black to white 120 red to white 0 so 220 cord is no good?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That is correct, AWESOME JOB! You have a bad cord! I am so happy YOU have found the problem! A new cord runs about $10-15 and is easily installed, available from most any hardware store. I am very proud of you! NICE WORK!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you so much ....you have no idea how terrified i was with 220. why would 4 yr old cord go
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
120 on black n white neutral is running the control board and clock right?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Usually, cord failure is due to poor connections when hooking it up or just poor manufacturing. You have definitely showed that the outlet is working, though, so it has t be the cord. And, yes, the black is the one that feeds the electronics, anything that is 120 volts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
accidentally hit call me
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
It did not show up on this end and I will ignore it if it does, no worries. You have this fully under control! :-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
really its easy from here? get stove cord n unplug stove and undo 3 stove nuts and are the 3 wires from cord labeled black red or white?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
the new cord will have three wires, probably all gray. Just make sure the middle wire (neutral) goes to the middle cord terminal on the range and the two outside wires go to the red and black! Let me know how it goes! I will be here if you have questions once you get the cord!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you so much
oops 3 hrs later got new cord on,,,,stove all burners worked oven and broiler worked. put backs on again pushed it back n noting but control panel for oven worked so either that thing is bloody shorting it out or when I tested 220 a few more times once got great readings then one pole no 120 and no 240 reading n tested agin n was fine. so I guess breaker needs to be tested n that REALLY scares me even though watched video. What are your thoughts Kelly if by some miracle you are there?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I apologize, I had to rest for a bit. I am a bit puzzled and suspect the outlet, maybe a connections when the cord is moved??? If you turn the breaker off, you can pull the outlet cover off to see if there is a wire that has come loose.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Kelly tomorrow I will do that and get back to it and please do not apologize about resting when it took me 3 to get back to you. I am beat and I do not want to make a mistake mess in with this stuff. Can I contact you tomorrow? I will pray that I do not have to go into breaker box to test the 220 breaker! Thank you so very much again Kelly
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Of course, I will be here all day tomorrow! You should not have to go into breaker box at all. But at least we know, beyond a doubt, the issue is NOT the range or the board you installed! We can celebrate that success so far! Have a peaceful evening....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I did not see above Kelly. Thank you for the nice thoughts,. I hope you had a peaceful evening.I am going to check new stove cord to see if that is burnt out again then unplug stove, turn breaker off, test w voltmeter that it is truly off and take the plate cover off the outlet
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Good morning! I don't think the new cord is going to be burnt up, but be sure to test the outlet after turning breaker off before removing the outlet cover.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well now this is totally crazy.. on back of stove by cord I got the same readings as yesterday black to white 12o/whit to red 0/ red to black 0.
Then I checked 220 plug and got 0 4 ways! I changed the battery in voltmeter and checked again and got wacky readings go 500/117 /0 in just 1 area. I will check my voltmeter on regular plug so know its working before I shut breaker and take 220 plate off...now scared again. oh well
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That is pretty weird! Let me know what regular outlets read.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh and also got 0 reading on all 3 ways on back of stove where plug is attached. That means either the plug is totally shot or a wire is loose or a breaker is shot right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
regular outlets all over house were 118 120 119
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not the voltmeter
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so the outlet has issues. I don't think it is breaker related. Can you turn the range breaker off, test the outlet for power, and then remove the cover?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yep wish me luck Kelly. Breaker off about to check for power again then outlet cover off
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
You are doing awesome!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok 2 wires seem firmly entrenched but second black wire moves back and forth. So time to call an electrician right Kelly. Sendin pics
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That black wire looks burnt, too, at the end! That outlet will need to be replaced and that wire cut and stripped back to repair the burnt end. I would probably call an electrician at this point unless you feel comfortable doing this repair. An electrician will charge about $100 to replace that outlet. You definitely know what is causing the issue now, though!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh Kelly when talking to my husband last night in NY, I said I would not have had the guts to do it without the expertise, support and kindness of Kelly on JUST ANSWERS. You are the best. Part of me wants to do it but the disabled part is saying enough. Now I know how much it will cost so I will start making some calls here in Fla.. I cannot wait to see my cousins doubtful face that I would get this stove fixed. Of course it was the new oven control board I put in! Haha
I realized also there was stress on the outlet cause it was backwards from the way the cord worked also. A million thanks. I will let you know how it goes after electrician is here.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good, it should be all fixed up soon! And, you now have a handy new meter and know how to use it! Not only that, you know how to repair a range and install cords! This was a great success in many ways, VERY WELL DONE!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only because of you. Before I became disabled many years ago I was a nurse and on the side in the 70's I laid lino floors with a girlfriend after work. Then I bought an old bldg back home in NYS and made rest/gift shop rental apts out of it in country to help my parents out with my brother-in-law contractor. This is one area that has always scared me and with my disability it has been tiring and challenging. Thank you again
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Well, you have a few more additions to your skill set now! You take care of yourself and please look me up if you run into any other appliance issues. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
KELLY THE ELECTRICIAN JUST LEFT AND REPLACED THE 220 PLUG. RIGHT BEFORE HE CAME I WENT OUT AND WHEN I CAME HOME ALL THE LIGHTS IN HOUSE WERE OFF. I CHECKED THE BREAKER BOX AND RETRIPPED EVERYTHING TO NO AVAIL. THEN I WAS ABOUT TO CALL THE ELECTRIC COMPANY TO ASK ABOUT BROWN OUT AND THE ELECTRICIAN CAME 2 MINUTES LATER RIGHT AFTER THE POWER HAD COME BACK ON. THANK GOODNESS. SO WE CHEKED PLUG AND TOP OF PLUG WHERE POWER GOES INTO STOVE AGAIN AND OK. TURNED THE STOVE ON ALL THE BURNERS WORKED AND AMPS WERE AT 15. THEN WE TURNED THE BROILER ON AND 28-30 AMPS AND BROILER WORKED. THEN OVEN AND WOULD NOT TURN ON AND THE ELECTRICIAN TRACKED WIRES AND EVEN THOUGH YOU CANNOT SEE IT THE OVEN BAKE COIL IS SHOT! HE FOUND THAT AT BY LOOKING AT SCHEMATICS AND TRACKING THE WIRES. SO I JUST ORDERED THE PART AND HE SHOWED ME WHERE THE SCREWS ARE TO TAKE THE SOLID BOTTOM OF OVEN OUT TO PLUG NEW OVEN COIL IN. SO NEXT TUES OR WED I WILL BE DOING THAT. I LEAVE FRI AM FOR HOME SOCUTTING IT CLOSE. SO DOIN WORK MYSELF LESS THAN $200 AS OPPOSED TO $300 BY APPLIANCE GUY FOR OVEN CONTROL BOARD AND SHOPPED AROUND FOR OVEN COIL AND GOT IT FOR 435 + 22 TO SHIP IT HERE FAST ENOUGH. THE PLUG WAS AN AMEN THAT A FIRE DDID NOT START AS THERE WAS ARCING. I HAVE LEARNED SO VERY MUCH FROM YOU BY MYSELF AND NOW WITH JEREMEY THE ELCTRICAL TECH. I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT GOES NEXT WEEK AND LETS HOPE THAT I CAN GET IT UP AND RUNNING FOR MY COUSINS. MY OTHER COUSIN IS SO SICK IN THE HOSPITAL. I SAVED THE END OF THE WIRE AND OLD PLUG TO SHOW MY COUSINS. WHEW EXHAUSTED TO SAY THE LEAST. HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND. TALK TO YOU NEXT WEEK. CAROLT
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Holy cow, have you had a day! Hopefully the weekend is much less eventful and you can put this little nightmare behind you! Let me know how it goes with the final piece to the puzzle!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My cousin is like enough so I let it go for awhile then he said how much is the part and I said $30.. He knows I cannot let it go now. I will keep in touch next week Kelly. Thankyou and have a great weekend
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good, thank you!