Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Our Maytag Dryer (Performa) Model PYE2000AYW makes a brief

Customer Question

Our Maytag Dryer (Performa) Model PYE2000AYW makes a brief grinding/shorting noise when pushing the timer knob to start the motor. I thought it was the timer so I replaced the timer but it still makes that noise. When I replaced the timer, there was what appeared to be some black electrical short color around one of the timer mounting screws. The noise comes from somewhere within the dryer other than in or near the timer.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks! The noise is likely the motor. Is it like a deep hum/growl type noise from down low?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, the noise is more of a brief scratching/scraping noise that lasts only a second or so just as the knob is being pushed. The motor starts immediately and runs quietly.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hmm, does it come from the top or can you tell? The only moving part before the motor starts is the motor on the back of the timer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The sound does NOT come from the timer nor is it a deep hum/growl like a motor problem. Sounds a bit like one piece of metal rubbing against another very briefly.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Oftentimes the blower can rub like that when it gets worn. When you shut the dryer off, do you hear the blower rumbling at all or does it go quiet right away?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the blower wheel just before encountering this problem.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, good. Can you have a look around the front and back of the drum, around the seals, to see if there may be something stuck in the seals?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does not appear that anything is rubbing or scraping once the tub is rotating. It only occurs when the timer knob is first pressed. I took the top and front panels off so I could see things more clearly and didn't see anything rubbing.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure. Can you tell from what area the noise comes from at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like it may be coming from near the motor behind the blower wheel. Can't see very well back there but the sound originates there. It sounds most like there is some type of short when electricity initially flows to the motor but it doesn't continue once the motor is running. Or possibly the motor moves just a bit and the shaft or pulley scrapes on something due to the slight shift when powering up. Any of that make sense?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Sure, that is very helpful! Look for any issues at the motor connections, like areas of high current draw (discoloration, melting of the plastic connector, arc marks on the terminals, etc). It sounds like the motor may need to be replaced.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I see this question is still open and I was just following up to see if you require further assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't find any evidence of problems at the motor connections. I'm not sure where to turn next and will likely just call a local repairman.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I am puzzled on this one, it sounds like the motor may be at fault but without hearing it first hand, I cannot be certain.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply.