Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

I have a GE monogram zdis15cssg ice machine that is not mKing

Customer Question

I have a GE monogram zdis15cssg ice machine that is not mKing ice. Had someone out to check it and they said it was the control board. Order a new board and replaced it myself and so far still no ice. There is water going over the chill plate but no ice yet. How long should it take for it to start producing ice once turned on? Any further ideas on how to find the problem?
Thank you
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dave and I'm happy to help you. The first slab of ice should be on the cutter grid after 25 minutes. Can you see anything there is you shine a light up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see any ice forming and it has been running for about 45 minutes. I just ran a cleaning cycle to see if that helps, don't think it will.
I don't think the cleaning cycle will help either but it's worth trying. At some point if you open the cap under the reservoir and let the water out you should see frost forming all over the cooling plate where the water circulates. Let me know what you see.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cleaning cycle didn't help. I uncapped the reservoir and there was no Frost on the chill plate. I have an IR thermometer and it was about 90 degrees
Is the fan underneath running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it feels like it is running
You need to pull it out and remove the rear lower cover. It sounds like the compressor is not running or if it is running there has been a leak of the refrigerant gas. See if the compressor is hot and humming.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is very hot to the touch
Can you tell if it is running? Slight vibrations?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't feel any vibrations but it is so hot I can only touch for a second. I touched it with a screwdriver and didn't feel anything.
Unplug it until it cools and then plug it in and see if the compressor starts or just hums and clicks off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The compressor didn't start as far as I could tell. I didn't hear anything coming from the compressor at all. The water ran for a little bit and there were some clicks and it tripped the breaker. It has never done that before.
Okay, that helps. It sounds like the compressor is the problem and it needs to be check with a volt meter. The compressor may be shorted or stalled or possibly just the relay. Is this something you can do yourself?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a voltmeter I just don't know what I need to be checking is it a pretty easy thing to check
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is some whitish discoloration on the side of the compressor I don't know if that helps or not also for some reason it started tripping the breaker when it first starts up after about a minute or two it has never done that at all before
The compressor is a sealed unit made of steel so what you see should not be an issue. The compressor and relay need to be tested with a meter. The compressor winding can be checked from the top pin to the left pin at between 8-11 ohms and the top to the right pin between 2 and 3 ohms. On the relay put the leads in the openings and turn it upside down with the coil up and you should read continuity and open when the coil is down.
Are you still there? Do you still need help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you. I ended up getting a new ice machine. This was 10+ years old so I didn't want to spend any more money on it. Thank you for all your help.
Thanks for the update.