Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

I just cleaned my icemaker per instructions however the 'cleaning

Customer Question

I just cleaned my icemaker per instructions however the 'cleaning needed light ' is still on.
What now?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dave and I'm happy to help you. The clean light won't go out until the last second of the clean cycle and the cycle take 70 minutes. Is it possible you started the icemaker just short of the 70 minutes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I started it when the clean cycle light stopped blinking.

I suggest unplugging the icemaker for 5 minutes and then start a clean cycle. Then start a clean cycle but no need to add cleaner. Let it run for the full 70 minutes and then wait for 10 more minutes just to be sure before you strart the icemaker and the light will go out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will give you suggestion a try!

Thanks. Give me an update when you are finished.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your suggestion did not work. I followed your instructions to the letter. Red light 'need cleaning' still on.

If a full cleaning cycle does not turn off the light you will need to replace the control but the light being on will not by itself stop ice production.

It has been found that the water sensor can cause this. Do you have an update on anything you tried?