Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a amana side by side refridgerator model # *****

Customer Question

I have a amana side by side refridgerator model # ***** The problem is the freezer is cold but not freezing
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks! Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section? Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
No fan or no frost? Is the fan running in the freezer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
neither one I hear no fan and see no frost
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hmm, okay. Can you remove the panel from the back of the freezer wall, number 4701 in the diagram at the link below, please? CLICK HERE Once that has been removed, you will see the evaporator coil. Does it have just a very small portion that has frost on it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hear a fan running
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Can you remove that cover and see what the frost on the coil looks like?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see no frost
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, and last question (thank you for your patience). Are you certain the compressor is running and it is producing a little cool?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes it is
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Great, thank you for answering all of my questions. I know it seems like a hassle but I wanted to be sure to get you the correct information. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The sealed refrigerant system has a leak and the refrigerant level is low. This is not a repair that you will be able to complete as it takes specialized tools and training. If you have it professionally repaired, you can expect it to run about $350 + parts. Given the age of the refrigerator, it may be wise to consider replacing it. Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help! Please remember to rate before you leave, using the stars at the top of the page. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I see this question is still open and I was just following up to see if you require further assistance.