Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My FRIGIDAIRE refrig keeps running. I

Customer Question
Hi my name is Ed...
Hi my name is Ed. My FRIGIDAIRE refrig keeps running. I checked the use and care manual. Everything seems to check out ok. Except the possibility the compressor is dirty. The unit is ten years old. It came with the house I just bought. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
4/30/2016
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 1 year ago
Joel Swenson
Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today. Clean the condenser coil on the unit make sure there is not debris like dirt and hair that could affect the air flow of the condenser fan motor (the motor next to the compressor). Make sure the both fans , the the fan in the freezer and the fan in the rear next to compressor are both running. If the compressor is running then both fans should be also, if one is not that is the issue. If everything is clean and both fans and the compressor is running, then you will need to take the rear panel out of the freezer and look at the frost pattern on the evaporator coils, make sure there is a light frost covering the entire evaporator, there should not be ice built up, if its froze up then there is a defrost issue. If the frost pattern on the coil is not all the way down the coil or there is only a block of ice at the top of the coil then the unit has a sealed system issue, like a freon leak or a compressor that is not pumping properly. Let me know what you find and we will go from there, in the meantime:******************************************************************************* We are on the honor system here. Since I have given you the initial answer please rate/vote by selecting a star at the top of the screen and any follow up questions you may have will be free of charge and of course I will continue to help if needed. Rating me will does not affect what you agreed to pay for the question and will not have any affect on what you have already been billed for unless you request a phone call. Feel free to get back to me with any questions you may have but in the meantime I would appreciate you going ahead and rating the answer as this is the only way I get compensated for my time, thanks! After you have rated/voted the answer you will be sent an email with a link that will allow you to get back to me for any follow up questions free of charge it will not close the question.Please Know: I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money. I am just a technician on the site that is here to help assist you and have nothing to do with billing. NOTE PLEASE READ: When you rate/vote my answer you have to click on the star vote/rate system at the top of your screen. Typing I give you a 5 star rating in a message does absolutely nothing to help me you have to click on the rating system. Thank You! Tips are not expected but are greatly appreciated.
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 1 year ago
Hi there,I was just touching base with you because I have not heard back from you and the question is still open and unrated, if there is something else I can help you with follow up questions are free and can still be handled even after you rate the answer or did you just forget to rate the answer?
Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson