Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a GE refrigerator PGSS5RKZH SS. The ice maker has

Customer Question

I have a GE refrigerator PGSS5RKZH SS. The ice maker has stopped freezing the water. The refrigerator still keeps things cold and the Ice box still keep things Frozen. the freezer temp is -2 and the refrigerator temp is 38 Deg F. The water in the ice maker is very cold but not cold enough to freeze. I have turned the switch on the ice maker off tinkling the heater element might be permanently on., but the water does not freeze.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
If the freezer is still working, then it sounds like the fan inside your freezer that blows air up to the icemaker isn't running or is blocked with ice. The icemaker fan is located in the upper left corner back behind the back panel inside the freezer section. You'll need to pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel inside the freezer. Locate the icemaker fan and use a hair dryer to thaw out the fan. If it doesn't work still, replace the icemaker fan motor which is part number wr60x10330. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My thought that it might be the fan. I can still feel a little cold air coming out of the bottom port into the ice maker but I'm not sure if it is enough to actually freeze the ice. It could be just convection and the chimney effect moving cold air. Which port in the ice maker blows cold air into the ice maker? One of the things i needed was where the fan is and how to get to the fan
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
There are several fans in this unit, but the icemaker fan is the one in the back upper left corner behind the back panel inside the freezer. You just need to remove the freezer bin and drawers and pull the entire back panel out of the freezer in order to access the fan motor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't try the repair today but I will tomorrow. thanks
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK good luck. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I get the repair manual for my GE appliances. With that I can do a lot of the work and diagnosis.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately you can't without being an authorized servicer to log in and view the service manual while logged in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why not? The only reason I can see for not making it available is to maintain a monopoly on the service. most of the time it is a defective part that goes that just needs to be replaces as the case with me. And does not require special tools the only thing that really requires special training and tools is the refrigerant, compressor and the such. For 99% of the people out there even if the manual was available they still would call a service technician. I do not think that making the service manual available would heart business. GE still has a monoploy on the parts that in my opinion are outrageously priced. Also with a rigged system like this after only about 3 years this is the 2nd GE appliance that I have had to service. I can tell you now that there are many Mfg's of appliance's and I will probaly never ever make a retail purchase of a GE appliance again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
While you gave me a direction to ensure that I have do things properly I'll need a diagram schematic. A trained tech has these things available when they go in to do a repair I'm supposedly untrained but attempting a repair with less information.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
That I couldn't say, it's just the way that most manufactures handle their service manuals. I wouldn't call it a monopoly since you can buy from a different manufacture but just like Apple, they try to keep all service in house because yes they do make money on repairs. As for a diagram, below is a link to the parts diagram and part 361 is the fan in question. CLICK HERE for diagram Now again, we are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. So if there is ice on the fan why would that be if everything is working? how can i determine if the fan is working properly. is it supposed to be always on? is it a 120 AC fan. is there a switch inline? is there a sensor that is used as part of a control algorithm? This is why I need an electrical schematic.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
There is no sensor, it just blows air from the freezer up to the icemaker to keep the icemaker compartment the same temp as the freezer. If the fan is running, then it's good. If it's not running then replace it---it's that simple. You're making this more complicated than it needs to be.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry but I don't know how complicated it might be until I have ALL OF THE POSSIBLE INFORMATION. It is the lack of ALL of the information, Schematics and diagrams that makes me question. the devil is in the details. OK As soon as I get a chance I will give it a try. Thanks
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Have a nice day then.