John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company
22250861

I have a mgde200xw1 gas dryer that wont heat. I have checked

Customer Question

I have a mgde200xw1 gas dryer that wont heat. I have checked thermal fuse-good continuity, high limit thermostat-good continuity, flame sensor-good continuity at room temp, thermal cutoff- good continuity, tested gas valve resistance and readings were slightly off so I ordered one and found the readings similar and out of factory spec according to repair manual attached to the machine. igniter glows and starts flame for 30 seconds then shuts off. this sequence occurs every few minutes.
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Appliance Technician should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
gas valve coils
pins new old specs
1/2 1327ohms 1317ohms 1365+/-25 (1340-1390)
1/3 578ohms 568ohms 560+/- 25 (535-585)
4/5 1280 ohms 1289ohms 1220+/-50 (1170-1270)
so first and last readings are both out of spec on new and old gas valve coils, should I still replace the coil possibly due to an intermittent failing coil while under load? or the next step in the book states to replace the machine control electronics.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like the flame sensor is not getting hot enough to keep the control board satisfied. Inspect it, while the flame is burning, to see if it emits an orange glow. If it doesn't, reposition it so it's covered by the tip of the flame, where it's the hottest. Please let me know the result.Using the expert's rating scale, located at the top of your screen, please click on the star that best reflects your satisfaction with my answer. Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there doesn't seem to be any adjustment possible for the flame sensor, and there is nothing protruding from the flame sensor into the actual flame when the flame does kick on briefly, it has a window opening in the flame chamber. I had my meter hooked up and when the flame is on the sensor opens the circuit and has no continuity, after thirty seconds the flame shuts off (the problem I'm chasing) and once the flame sensor cools down it has continuity again then you see the ignitor glow and the flame starts up again for another thirty seconds.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
OK. Thank you. The igniter should be replaced. Its part number is ***** and its price is $17.16. You can purchase it at www.repairclinic.com. A repair video link is beneath the photo of the igniter kit.Using the expert's rating scale, located at the top of your screen, please click on the star that best reflects your satisfaction with my answer. Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So the igniter glows and lights the flame. does it need to stay glowing while the flame is present? Is there a resistance value for the igniter I did check it for continuity and is good.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
The carborundum material develops minute cracks over time. When the cracks appear, the igniter will carry current for a bit, then stop, shutting down the ignition module.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Do you need more help, before your request times out?