Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

We run a load in our dishwasher once or twice a day and

Customer Question

We run a load in our dishwasher once or twice a day and every so often, maybe once a week, dishes come out of our dishwasher with a bad smell. Especially the ceramic and glass dishes like mugs and glasses. Mugs and glasses are especially easy to smell because you stick your nose in them and know right away if the stink is there or not.We have tried several things, including replacing our dishwasher, and there is still a stink about once a week. We had a plumber come over to look at it. He admitted that he wasn't a dishwasher expert, but he checked the pipes under the sink and everything seemed okay to him.One thought we had at one point was that it might be the remnant of raw eggs on the dishes that somehow gets spread onto all of the dishes in the dishwasher. We've tried to wash dishes - that may have had raw egg on them - before putting them into the dishwasher but it doesn't seem to have made a difference.What could this be? How do we get it resolved?I'm not sure how this system works but we don't want just possible answers. We want the answer that fixes our problem. This may take two weeks to make sure that the answer provided actually worked. Please don't answer this question unless you are willing to give answers until we find the answer that actually fixes our problem.I'm not sure if setting this requirement is allowed but we don't want to keep paying and paying for every answer given if it doesn't resolve our issue.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  ApplianceMAN replied 1 year ago.
well im gonna ask one question to see if this is done, Under your sink where your drain hose connects to the sink/garbage disposal. Does that go as high as it can before it goes back into the sink or is it flat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm adding a photo. It looks like it goes pretty high. I guess it could be a little higher. We've been in this home for over 3 years but this issue seems to have started in the last year or so. It's possible we just didn't notice it before, but it's pretty bad, so I would think we would notice it.
Well I was always taught go as high as you can. I would try that, Im gonna opt out of this mark, I hope someone has more ideas!
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. Answer: This is not from the disposal or anything. You need to get some SPA SHOCK (granular works great). Put your dishes in the unit with about a table spoon of that with the soap and see how it comes out. It will come out great. Do that every so often and everything will smell great again. Also make sure your hot water is set to at least 135+ and precharge your line before running your dishwasher. All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the response. A few questions.1. I don't know what the temperature on our hot water is. The water heater doesn't say. We have kids in the home and can't turn it too high. Our dishwasher has a sani-rinse option that is supposed to get the water to 145 degrees.2. I will try the SPA SHOCK but I don't want to ruin the dishwasher. I may call the makers of the dishwasher before trying this option.3. Why did this only recently become an issue? Seems like something is causing it. Maybe I don't quite understand appliances, but I was hoping to fix the problem and not just manage it.Thanks.
It is bacteria, Spa Shock will not hurt the dishwasher at all it will disinfect the unit and trust me it works great. I do it all the time. Just use a table spoon every so often and everything will smell good again.
Also if you do not use the HEATED dry they will smell fresh...but who wants to do that? Basically the Heated dry bakes the smell in to the dishes...and one of the main culprits are eggs. Make sure any egg plate or anything that has come into contact with eggs is rinsed clean before putting them in. The Spa Shock is a sanitizer like a commercial machine puts in to kill the bacteria and odor. Try that and see what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the extra info. I'm curious... does the occasional spa shock keep the smell from ever happening? Like if I do the spa shock one day, will it prevent any bacteria from causing a smell the next day?
Yes normally it will not come back for a long time, just watch egg stuff in the unit the sulfur smell gets almost baked in to the dishes during dry.