Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

My dryer won't heat. I've called a handyman came over an

Customer Question

Hi, my dryer won't heat. I've called a handyman came over and he replaced the heating element, the thermostat, even the controller… but it's still not working! I'm very frustrated…
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My dryer is Blomberg. And it can heat up under testing mode but not work under regular use.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Appliance Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks! May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kelly, Thanks for your reply. The model number is ***** - DV16540 NBL00. Thank you!
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Are you in Canada? If so, do you have a meter to test voltage with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I'm in the US. Unfortunately I don't have that. But the handyman just came over and has tested the voltage. He said the heating element and the thermostat are all working now.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Well, it sounds like it has to be controller related if the unit will heat during testing but not during a regular cycle. Does it produce heat initially and then stop or never heating? Do you know what thermostat he replaced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But we just replaced the controller today by the handyman, and it is still not working... It used to produce heat until one day, it just stopped heating anymore.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Do you know what controller he replaced? Was it the high voltage one with the relays on it or the one in the very front?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Was it the one at the link below, around $45.00? CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He replaced the one in the very front which is connected with the control panel.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That is just the low voltage switching board. The main power control is the one below. I suspect that is the one you will need to replace. CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems both links navigate to the same webpage. Both are the $43 switching board one. Could you paste again with the main power control?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
No, both links go to the relay board, the one that controls the power. That is the one he replaced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, it's the one he replace. And by the way, I'm so surprised by seeing the price of the switching board. Because he charged us $187.12 on this relay board....
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Wow, sounds like he made some markup on that part!? If that has been replaced then it comes down to a wiring issue or the temperature sensor below. Is this the other part he replaced or a high limit thermostat? CLICK HERE
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That electronic temperature sensor comes with a small cable attached, the high limit thermostat does not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the other stuff he replaced.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Those are just the mechanical fuses and the element. He could test those easily with a meter. He needs to replace the electronic sensor I linked you to.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That electronic sensor is what tells the control whether to heat or not. If that sensor is faulty, the control will get an erroneous reading and not allow the machine to heat. The mechanical parts he replaced are safety devices that open if the unit overheats. They are one time fuses in that they open and then must be replaced. Of course, if the heating element was heating in the test cycle, it should not have been replaced. You may want to have another servicer look at the machine rather than the one you had out. It sounds like he did you a disservice by replacing so many parts and charging so much, too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because there's no picture in your link so I'm not sure if it's the same thing he has replaced. Do you have picture of that part? And this the fuses you are talking about? https://res.cloudinary.com/dtk4ybaqk/image/private/t_wm_partmaster_100/v1444985357/prod/jjt81igu83p0zt0kc9nv.jpg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant are these the fuses you are talking about? https://res.cloudinary.com/dtk4ybaqk/image/private/t_wm_partmaster_100/v1444985357/prod/jjt81igu83p0zt0kc9nv.jpg
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The partS you showed me are the fuses and the element, see link below. CLICK HERE
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The temp sensor will look close to the one below. CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because when we called him out, the dryer was not working even under testing mode. So he replaced the heating element after he tested it with the meter. And he charged $86 on that part.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so no heat initially at all and then now it only heats in testing cycle? So the element may have been faulty initially.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean by faulty initially?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That it was found to be open (a break in the coil) so it was replaced. Now this new issue.....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kelly, I saw you refer this issue to a new Appliance Technician, do you mean you have no idea on this issue any more? Do you think I should still give it a try by replacing the electronic sensor? But the link you gave to me is out of stock. Do you know where else can I find that electronic sensor? Thank you.
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am a different tech do you still need help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, i still need help
I see that is out of stock have you tried to call them to see how long it would take to get as I can not seem to located one that is currently in stock
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I've called them and they don't have that in stock at this moment. Is that site the only place I can get for the appliance part? Thank you.
Yes I have no other suppliers for Blomberg parts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then who else can help me?
There are no other suppliers for that unit no one else can really help as that is the only Blomberg supplier
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But my real question is, why would my dryer not heat under regular cycle, but would heat under testing cycle?
It bypasses the sensor in test mode
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I can hear a long bee sound under testing mode. The bee sound is detecting the humidity. When the humidity level decreases to zero, the bee sound would stop. I think it means the sensor is still doing it's job. So I'm afraid the sensor is not the reason cause the dryer won't heat.