John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I can't open the lid to my washer. The wash cycle is done,

Customer Question

I can't open the lid to my washer. The wash cycle is done, but the lid is staying locked.
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I don't know what else there is to tell. I have a Maytag Centennial washing machine, I ran a large load on warm, regular, one rinse settings. Now the lid is staying locked, and there's a red "Lid Locked" light on.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Appliance Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: I don't think so.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Catigory My name is Woody. I will be glad to assist you today. I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 36 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College. I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt. You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer. I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance. Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't find the model number. If it's under the lid, I can't see it because the lid won't unlock.
ok so the lid is still locked even after the wash has been done even minutes after correct?and is this Bravos top loader washer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, each is done but lots is still locked. It's a top leader, Maytag Centennial brand.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Load is done but lid is still locked.
ok so then the lid latch /lock will need to be replaced anyway you will need to force the lid open and break the lid latch /lock switch anyway ,to get the model number to be able for me to give you a part number for the new part.It has to be replaced anyway so breaking it will not matter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I'll need to wait for my husband to get home since I can't force it open.
ok no problem ,just reply back with the model and I can send you a link with the part number and even find a video on replacing the part.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I was able to get the lid open by pressing the Cancel button. The model number is ***** The washer won't drain or wash or run any cycles; I think the lid locked because the water wasn't draining for some reason.