Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Just installed a Bosch 1210ESC carwash. Attempted to

Customer Question

Just installed a Bosch 1210ESC for our carwash. Attempted to fire the heater following installation of gas hook up. Unit tried to fire a couple of times then locked up. Water will not flow thru the unit. What do I need to do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am HVAC Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. Answer: Reset the unit by powering it off for 30 secs at the breaker or unplug it...then power it back on you could have a flame sensor issue or air in the system try it again and see what happens. Let me know All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It'll be tomorrow afternoon before I can attempt the reset. I did unplug the unit prior to leaving this afternoon. What causes the failure to flow water through the unit? What is my next step if the suggested fix doesn't work?
Well if it is new I would try to get it covered under warranty for sure. It has a flow sensor in it that picks up how much water is flowing to the unit then starts and ignition cycle. So there could be a flame sensor issue on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried the reset. It didn't have any effect. What's my next step? Is there anything I can do or do I have no other choice that to contact Bosch?
Does it just start up then the flame goes out right away?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does absolutely nothing. Water will not flow through the unit so if water doesn't flow, it wont attempt to ignite.
Nothing would stop water from flowing through the unit other than a plugged intake screen or something majorly plugged in the unit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've taken the screen out and it's clean. Is there a valve inside the unit that regulates water flow? Could the fuses be shot? I'm not aware of anything that could restrict the flow either. It flowed fine until the third attempt to ignite and then it shut down, no flow.
No this is a straight flow unit nothing should stop water flowing through the unit at all. ater Flow Too LowTHERE ARE RESTRICTIONS IN THE PLUMBING - Obstructions in the water path can restrict the flow of water through the heater. Verify the heater’s inlet filter screen, faucet aerators, showerheads and whole house filters are clear of debris. Verify proper flow on the outlet side of the heater with the hot water pipe disconnected. Maximum flow rates for each unit are as follows. RP17PT = 2.3gpm, RP27PT = 3.5gpm.WATER SUPPLY PRESSURE TOO LOW - Verify incoming water supply is at least 30psi. For people on well systems, the recommended pressure range is 30-50psi.OUTLET SHUT-OFF VALVES ARE SET TOO LOW - Adjust installer supplied outlet valve as described here: a) Completely open both installer supplied inlet and outlet shut-off valves at the heater. (if none installed, install before proceeding; b) Completely open hot water on the highest flowing hot water fixture served by the heater (i.e. bathtub); c) Slowly close the outlet shut-off valve, slowing the water flow rate until the temperature at the hot water faucet corresponds to the values given on Graph 1 on Page 8 of the manual, or desired water temperature is reached.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I looked at the Bosch manual on line. There is a water valve and it shows to have an electronic connection, some sort of solenoid valve, kinda of like an icemaker valve on a refrigerator or dishwasher. My guess is it has the ability to shut down the water intake. My question would be what could possibly create such an issue and how could it be corrected? I guess I'll have to contact Bosch tomorrow morning to find out.
There is nothing like that on it that is just a sensor, Here is the manual for it go to page 50 for the troubleshooting to see but water should flow through no matter what. CLICK HERE All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://www.bosch-climate.us/files/201208202146380.THERM_Removing_&_Replacing_Watervalve.pdfPlease check this out. My unit is a 1210ESC. What is this valve for?
That is an aqua sensor valve and detects the water flow to through the unit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well........ I guess all that's left is to contact Bosch for a local rep and let them work on it. Thanks for the effort.
No problem let me know what happens
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, well. Seems my Model 1210ESC has a water valve after all. Talked with the Bosch technician this afternoon, took about 10 minutes to remove the valve from the unit, remove the motor from the valve, adjust the valve stem to the fully opened position, put it all back together and sha-zam. Works like it's supposed to.
Was it not setup properly from the factory?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll be glad to answer any and all of your questions......... if you're willing to pay $28. I did!
I did not receive any money sir the site was paid. Take Care.