Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a Samsung French door refrigerator model number RF4287HA

Customer Question

I have a Samsung French door refrigerator model number RF4287HA the freezer says it is set to -8 it's actually 28 degrees. I have unplugged it and it will tell the actual temp and the readout will say that it is cooling down but it does not. There is no ice built up in the back, the ice maker is in the refrigerator and it is making ice. The temp is fine in there also. It's about 3 1/2 years old.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. Pull the unit out and remove the square access panel off to the right on the back of the unit, see if the red light on the board is flashing and let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll have my husband do that this afternoon and will let you know. Thanks
ok sounds good
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The red light is on but not flashing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He unplugged it for five minutes and plugged it back in and now the red light is not on.
Look it has a 7 minute delay if the light has not come back on at all the compressor will never run is it on yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The light is on.
OK is the compressor running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think so. It's a very quiet unit. It's making ice and the fridge is cold. It's not giving an accurate temp for freezer. It's says it's -6 but it's 38 degrees.
OK if you unplug the unit for about 5 minutes and plug it back in the temps should then display the actual temps, it does sound like the unit is working now though. Can you give it until the morning to see if the freezer comes down or has it come down at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have done this several times, it will display the actual temp after we unplug it then show that the temp comes down but it doesn't. It is staying 34-38 on the thermometer we have in it.
OK is the refrigerator temperature correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
OK then either the unit is low on freon or the three way valve is not working on the system. There is a 3 way valve that diverts freon flow from the refrigerator or to the freezer evaporator. If that is not working that will happen or if the unit is low on freon that will also happen. This is a major issue not a minor problem though and will require a tech as sealed system work will be needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help
No problem and sorry for the news.All I ask is please use the star rating link at the top of your page before leaving thanks